Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • "Movement" across a quilt top >
  • "Movement" across a quilt top

• "Movement" across a quilt top

Old 01-20-2012, 12:35 PM

It looks really good!!
    Old 01-20-2012, 12:37 PM

It looks great this way (all same direction). For the border, perhaps a rosy color of a thin border then a wider one of blue and white piano keys - just a thought
    Old 01-20-2012, 01:46 PM

char634w - it must be hard to see - I know it's a bit blurry - but it already has a thin red border then a larger border of one of the fabrics from the charms - it's a large floral print. I like the blue/white piano key idea,though. I have 32 of these blocks left and bits of all the fabrics so I'll keet it in mind when I use these.
    Old 01-22-2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by JanTx
    Thanks for such an honest answer. I KNOW there are no quilt police, and it's my quilt, and yada-yada-yada, sometimes I really want to know what someone else thinks. My husband is good at giving his advice, but then he gets a bit hurt when I choose another direction. Here's a shot showing more of the blocks. I see many that need to be moved - the lights in the center..... Sometimes I think I spend more time trying to place the blocks than I did sewing these easy ones.
    i do the same. it takes me longer sometimes to place the blocks than it does to sew them together and finish the quilt. i used to live in a house where i had a sewing rm complete with 'design wall' when i needed the wall and was still 'thinking' on another quilt i would cover the thinkin' thing with a sheet and lay out the nxt. i don't have that option now and so far just making small or minis at this house [in the dining room - please!! dh don't invite anyone to dinner!!!!] with the digital cams now what you did is a great idea...take a pic..change something take another pic & so on.
    gonna be a very pretty quilt when you are done. be sure to post a pic.
    Old 01-22-2012, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    It would drive me batty not to have them all in the same direction. The movement comes in the flow of color, IMO. I like your quilt without the red sashing, but would scatter the green charms if possible. A red inner border would be perfect.
    I wholeheartedly agree that movement comes in the flow of color. I also like the red sashing and recommend scattering the green charms a bit more.
    Old 01-22-2012, 04:27 PM

I'm sure your LQS ladies mean well, but movement is not accomplished in a quilt top (or any other type of art) by the misorientation of directional prints, especially prints of things that only occur one way, right side up, in the natural world. Movement is a basic principle of design and is intended to guide the viewer's eye through the piece, not make them turn their head sideways.

It is generally accomplished with color, shape, value, contrast and composition. The motion in your quilt, for instance, is created by the diagonal rows of the light and dark alternating squares. The prints within those squares are secondary and when they are turned sideways, they actually interrupt the natural flow and cause discord.

There is a wealth of information on design principles and how to create visual movement in quilts available on the internet. Take a look and try some of the ideas you read about when you work with the next set of 32 blocks. Good luck and have fun.
    Old 01-22-2012, 04:43 PM
    Power Poster

I think it came out beautifully. Nice job.
    Old 01-22-2012, 04:48 PM

I like your altenating block design
    Old 01-22-2012, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    I like the alternating blocks without the red sashing. As for putting them going in the same direction, I would. They just look wrong to me facing in other directions. My mind keeps saying opps that ones sideways, opps that ones upside down. I'm with Irishrose, it would drive me batty. It's a very pretty top.
    I agree. It doesn't seem to flow well to me with some facing the wrong direction.