Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • moving to Rural Alaska >
  • moving to Rural Alaska

• moving to Rural Alaska

Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 AM

We lived in Anchorage, Alaska (AK) for 14 yrs and we loved it. It is a beautiful state. God bless you on your big adventure!!
    Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 AM

st. mary's though my villages four others right there along the Yukon.
    Old 02-13-2013, 10:17 AM

thanks for that info
    Old 02-13-2013, 10:40 AM

As an Alaska resident it is AK for Alaska and AL for Alabama

[QUOTE=MarleneC;5858717]
    Originally Posted by Debbie C
    I see many posts here referring to Alaska as 'AK'....the O.C.D. in me has to make a correction here. The abbreviation for Alaska is 'AL'......I am very excited for you - this sounds like an amazing opportunity. Please keep us up to date on your experiences there!![/QUO
    You are so wrong--Alaska is AK--those of us who live in Alaska should know---AL is Alabama. Before you correct others you should get your facts straight.
    Old 02-13-2013, 10:45 AM

I don't know where you are moving from, but it you have ever suffered from depression the long periods of darkness can create problems. One way to combat this is with light therapy. They didn't know it when I was growing up in Seattle and had bouts of depression every winter, and no one knew why, but put me on medication. My husband was in the Navy when we got married and stationed in San Diego, and I have not had the problem since. Our longest period of over-cast weather is 2 weeks. It can creep up on you, so don't let it get to you.

The rest of the family had no problem with the depressing weather just me.

Your adventure sounds great to me. Not sure what you will encounter but it does sound like it will be an adventure and so have a good time.
    Old 02-13-2013, 10:56 AM

Thank you I could not remember if it was Bethel or Nome that she went to. We all have different things that we like in our life take this move for what it is a great experience. You have lots of quilters who are willing to help if you just ask. If it were not for people like you who are willing to take that chance some of the services that these remote areas need would not happen. Many people come here like you and end up staying because they end up liking it. Those who are on the fence or don't like it usually leave. Its not for everyone but give it a fair chance.

Originally Posted by MarleneC
    I live in Kenai, AK--3 hours south of Anchorage. My son lives in Bethel. My Viking dealer visits Bethel for classes. I don't know if they have a fabric shop but she says there are a lot of quilters out there. I do not know where they buy their fabrics. I do know that a lady who lived about an hour drive from me used to own a fabric store and she lives in Bethel now. Hope you can meet up with some of these folks. Good luck with your move.
    Old 02-13-2013, 11:00 AM

I have lived in AK, but in the very 'civilized' areas - Juneau, Ketchikan, Homer. I know where you are headed, and wish you the best, and many many hours of happy quilting!
    Old 02-13-2013, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead
    Wait until he freezes his ars off and then he will want those quilts.
    He didn't ask her this to be mean....

This is what " riutzelj " said....
    He is very high level Asperger's and change happens SLOWLY so my going up and his visiting is the process for that to happen. He wants the quilts to stay because that is how he stays connected with me.

He wants them around to remind him of her. Since they are a part of her, this is how is coping with her being away.
    Old 02-13-2013, 12:12 PM

I think you will have an interesting - no fascinating - 2 years in the boondocks of Alaska. You seem to have the right attitude and know what you are facing. Quilting may not be the main thing in your life while you are there, but you're smart to be thinking of it as an outlet when you need it! I'm wishing you happy times in Alaska!
    Old 02-13-2013, 04:46 PM

I agree with ktbb. Alaska has a wonderful quilting community. We lived in Eagle River for 14 years and miss it terribly. I kept very busy with my quilting.