Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • ?? to much fabric >
  • ?? to much fabric

• ?? to much fabric

Old 05-26-2014, 07:30 AM

Yes, I have too much fabric - so much that I have never even seen all of it. I rescued some of my BFF's stash after she died. Went to see her DH after she had passed away and he said that he had spent the past 2 days burning her stash - I actually thought I was going to be sick. She had two bedrooms full of fabric plus her basement. Luckily, I was able to rescue all that she had in totes in a closet. I had to hurriedly take them home so that he would not burn them also. No place to put them except into a room in my detached garage which has no heat/air. No room in the house to even go through them as my then newly divorced son had taken over my sewing room. Once in awhile I will go out and get a tote and bring it in the house and always find a real treasure or two.
    Old 05-26-2014, 07:52 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mimi01
    Just got back a week or so ago from the 10th annual (for me anyway)salvation army fabric sale. Bought about
    about 60 yards of fabric give or take. A friend in work uncovered her mothers stash and brought me about
    50 yards of fabric. Now lets not forget that I already have an enviable stash. SO I am feeling a little Overwhelmed and am wondering is it ever "to much"
    Somehow I always seems to be missing one or two components for a pattern that calls for several shades of a certain color - even though I already have many pieces of fabric in my stash.
    Old 05-26-2014, 07:54 AM
    Power Poster

By the way - 50 yards of fabric would fit in a book box (18 x 12 x 12) with room to spare.
    Old 05-26-2014, 08:24 AM

IMHO there is no such thing as "too much" fabric just too little time and too little room.I do have times when I find that a I have a "color overload" so need to work on reducing some of that color by concentrating on projects using up some of that color overload, usually by way of charity quilts or encouraging someone to come over for a day of quilting and sharing/gifting some of the fabric with them.
    Old 05-26-2014, 08:42 AM

When I feel overwhelmed by my stash, I find I am less inclined to sew. I push myself to go through it periodically and either sell or give away the fabric I know I won't use. It feels good to know I'll make someone else happy with the fabric, and it makes me feel more comfortable with my stash.

Overall, I feel very fortunate to be in a position where I feel I have "enough" fabric, and it frees me up to enjoy new purchases if I see a fabric I can't resist...
    Old 05-26-2014, 09:04 AM

my stash was never huge, but it got the the point every time I opened the door I'd almost feel ill from the burden. I went on the fabric wagon in 2001, and I think by the end of 2015 or early 2016 I will probably be down to 1 or 2 boxes worth.

I was a terrible steward of our money because I was 'in the habit' of shopping for fabric. It takes about a year to get over that. stay out of places that sell fabric
    Old 05-26-2014, 09:30 AM

I have what I feel is a comfortable amount of stash - What I don't have is fabric that I didn't choose myself. At this point (still working and can buy what I want) I am not interested in acquiring fabric just to acquire it no matter what kind of deal it is. Of course I have not been faced with this decision and I might be overwhelmed and grab it all when and if I ever am.
    Old 05-26-2014, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    By the way - 50 yards of fabric would fit in a book box (18 x 12 x 12) with room to spare.
    This doesn't plausible to me. Now I will have to try it. My problem is the hundreds of yards of apparel fabric that is too overwhelming to deal with. There is such a thing as too much fabric, IMO.
    Old 05-26-2014, 02:02 PM
    Power Poster

Since I made that statrment, I am now verifying

I am now filling a 16x 12 x 12 moving/storage box from Home Depot.
    Old 05-26-2014, 02:10 PM
    Power Poster

Since I made that statrment, I am now verifying

I am now filling a 16x 12 x 12 moving/storage box from Home Depot.