Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Music? >
  • Music?

• Music?

Old 06-06-2010, 07:33 PM

SOMETIMES TV AND SOMETIMES MUSIC, MOST OF THE TIME IT'S COUNTRY OR GOSPEL, BUT I LIKE SOME OF ALL KINDS MUSIC ( NOT RAP) & ANYTHING BY JOE NICHOLS
    Old 06-06-2010, 07:50 PM

Oh! I need to a summer read! who's the author?
    Originally Posted by marymild
    I just finished listening to Prayers For Sale. It's a book on tape, also. It's really the story of quilters but I didn't know it until after I started listening to it. I really enjoyed it.
    Old 06-06-2010, 09:23 PM

Always! Usually Yanni, Josh Groban, Kenny G.
    Old 06-06-2010, 11:31 PM

it depends on the mood i am in i either listen to the music, watch TV or just enjoy the peace and quiet depends on how much concentration i need at the moment also
    Old 06-06-2010, 11:42 PM

I am a children's theater director, and I love to sew! So I crank up "Wicked", "Phantom of the Opera", "Annie", "Suessical", "Little Women", "Sound of Music", "Wizard of Oz", "Chicago", "A Chorus Line"...whatever show I see I usually get the soundtrack.
    Old 06-07-2010, 12:14 AM

Rock n roll. From the beatles to ac/dc and a splash of johnny cash.
    Old 06-07-2010, 02:52 AM

I sometimes work in silence. It clears my head. But then, sometimes I will turn the TV to a talk show on EWTN and just listen.
    Old 06-07-2010, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by marymild
    I just finished listening to Prayers For Sale. It's a book on tape, also. It's really the story of quilters but I didn't know it until after I started listening to it. I really enjoyed it.
    They have that book at our library and all the rest of Sandra Dallas' books on CD, so I am going to order them. I like stories like that! Thanks! Edie
    Old 06-07-2010, 06:45 AM

Sandra Dallas. Here's a review: Hennie Comfort knows she's getting old--she's 86--but she doesn't want to leave her mountain home of Middle Swan, Colorado, to go live with her daughter in Iowa. Still, there comes a time when Hennie figures she must face the facts and give in to her daughter's pleadings, so she sets the end of the year 1936 as the time when she'll begrudgingly move. But there's lots to be done in the months left, including befriending the new young neighbor, Nit Spindle, and working through some things Hennie's managed to set aside for many years. Thus kicks off Sandra Dallas's new novel, Prayers For Sale; sit back and let the story wash over you as the pages turn themselves.

Hennie's a real character, and a mainstay of the town since she came out seventy years before to marry Jake Comfort, sight unseen. Hennie's lifelong passion has been quilting, and just as she stitches quilts throughout the book, her own story unravels for Nit as she shares it with the lonely young woman. Hennie's figured out quite a bit about people in her long life, but she's still got a few things left to tend to before she leaves her home, and the friendship she develops with the much younger woman is the basis for the flashbacks into Hennie's life. The bond created between the two women is strong; centered around children both have lost, they find they can share each other's burdens over a quilting frame. Hennie doesn't actually offer prayers for sale, however; her prayers are frequent and fervent and she intervenes when necessary.

This is such a delightful tale with such strong, well-written characters that I hated to see it end. I could easily picture Hennie's dry sense of humor and her good will in trying to bring Nit into the town's social circle. In my mind's eye, I could see Hennie telling the stories as she worked over her "piecings", and I felt the same impact from them that Nit was experiencing. The ending is a bit of a surprise--not unwelcome, but surprising nonetheless. I was left smiling, knowing I will hold these dear people with me for a very long time. Highly recommended.
    Old 06-07-2010, 07:19 AM

I listen to Donny Osmond and the Osmonds. I love their LP The Plan. I can have the music really loud so no one else can hear me singing. I find that the music makes me happy and I am more productive.