Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Music? >
  • Music?

• Music?

Old 06-07-2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by marymild
    Sandra Dallas. Here's a review: Hennie Comfort knows she's getting old--she's 86--but she doesn't want to leave her mountain home of Middle Swan, Colorado, to go live with her daughter in Iowa. Still, there comes a time when Hennie figures she must face the facts and give in to her daughter's pleadings, so she sets the end of the year 1936 as the time when she'll begrudgingly move. But there's lots to be done in the months left, including befriending the new young neighbor, Nit Spindle, and working through some things Hennie's managed to set aside for many years. Thus kicks off Sandra Dallas's new novel, Prayers For Sale; sit back and let the story wash over you as the pages turn themselves.

Hennie's a real character, and a mainstay of the town since she came out seventy years before to marry Jake Comfort, sight unseen. Hennie's lifelong passion has been quilting, and just as she stitches quilts throughout the book, her own story unravels for Nit as she shares it with the lonely young woman. Hennie's figured out quite a bit about people in her long life, but she's still got a few things left to tend to before she leaves her home, and the friendship she develops with the much younger woman is the basis for the flashbacks into Hennie's life. The bond created between the two women is strong; centered around children both have lost, they find they can share each other's burdens over a quilting frame. Hennie doesn't actually offer prayers for sale, however; her prayers are frequent and fervent and she intervenes when necessary.

This is such a delightful tale with such strong, well-written characters that I hated to see it end. I could easily picture Hennie's dry sense of humor and her good will in trying to bring Nit into the town's social circle. In my mind's eye, I could see Hennie telling the stories as she worked over her "piecings", and I felt the same impact from them that Nit was experiencing. The ending is a bit of a surprise--not unwelcome, but surprising nonetheless. I was left smiling, knowing I will hold these dear people with me for a very long time. Highly recommended.
    Thank you, Miss MaryMild, quilting book reviewer. I appreciate that. I have ordered it from the library and a few of her other ones. I love the quilting stories - like Nancy E. Turner (in order)
    "These Is My Words", "Sarah's Quilt", and "The Star Garden". Wonderful books, same family, going back to the 1800's. Covered wagon and all that. Enjoy. Edie
    Old 06-07-2010, 08:14 AM

YES! I listen to Bluegrass Gospel. Love it! I just zip along!
    Old 06-07-2010, 08:45 AM

I listen to Contemporary Christian on Comcast or KLOVE on the radio. If I watch TV I usually end up using my redesign tool AKA Seam Ripper.
    Old 06-07-2010, 09:27 AM

Yes, can't quilt (or anythng else) without it. Usually classic rock or music from the 60's. It's the best!!!
    Old 06-07-2010, 09:27 AM

I usually borrow audio books from my local library and listen to them while I'm sewing. Last Saturday I'd found an old tape of late 60's music hits and thought it would make a change to listen to that, WRONG, I was a teenager at that time and the memories came rushing back as I was sewing. One moment my head was nodding in time to the beat, then my shoulders and upper body, then the next thing was I stopped sewing altogether and stood up to start dancing around my sewing room. I felt quite breathless by the the time I finished but it was one good party I had. Luckily, I was home alone at the time, so just remember, this is our secret, ok.
    Old 06-07-2010, 02:50 PM

I have music all day at work, so like the quite time in sewing room
    Old 06-07-2010, 06:20 PM

Thanks Marymild.. I will check that out from my local library tomorrow when I go in.. I needed a new book .. thanks for the review..

Perhaps the readers should start a thread about what's a good summer read? Marymild, you sound like a good one to start it off!!
    Old 06-07-2010, 06:23 PM

I play CDs most of the time while I'm sewing, Praise, Gospel and Country and sometimes a little Rod Stewart or The Little River Band.
    Old 06-07-2010, 07:01 PM

Not always music , and the types vary . But I do need some kind of background noise , so if its not music I have a TV in my sewing room . I don't know why but I find the silience distracting!
    Old 06-08-2010, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Judie
    Thanks Marymild.. I will check that out from my local library tomorrow when I go in.. I needed a new book .. thanks for the review..

Perhaps the readers should start a thread about what's a good summer read? Marymild, you sound like a good one to start it off!!
    If you can get books you can get audiobooks and this is my list of good listening while you are quilting.

I will go by authors - each book is good.

Jennifer Chiaverini
    Mary Higgins Clark
    Richard Paul Evans
    JoAnn Fluke
    Earlene Fowler
    Jan Karon
    Wally Lamb
    Beverly Lewis
    Tracie Peterson
    Jodi Picoult
    Nicholas Sparks
    Nancy E. Turner

They are in alphabetical order because I keep track of the books I have listened to - by author. I would love to give you my favorite books, but each and every author, I think, is marvelous -

Titlewise, I like Marley and Me, The Art of Dancing in the Rain (wonderful book), Icy Sparks, On Agate Hill, The Memory Keeper's Daughter, The Girls, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, The Shack.

I have a "book" by Wally Lamb that my sister is listening to right now. It is "I Know This Much is True" - 28 discs long!!! If you can get through the extreme profanity, it is a wonderful book, twists, turns, ins and outs, ups and downs, love hate, past, present.

You have my thread!

Edie