Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Musings re: stash and purchasing >
  • Musings re: stash and purchasing

• Musings re: stash and purchasing

Old 07-01-2011, 04:24 AM

I have a large stash only by inheritance. My sister-in-law, a marvelous quilter, passed away and my brother was unsure of what to do with all of her supplies, tools and fabric. I asked if I could have her things and to save some items for her daughters that are not quilters yet but may be someday. I found unfinished projects, samples to practice new techniques and so many little tools in her things!

I was an experienced sewer and had made garments for ever so long as well as small quilt projects but never a bed sized quilt so the transition was not hard. I wanted to continue her tradition of giving quilts for family babies, graduations and weddings and honor her by using her fabrics. It seemed like the right thing to do and it keeps her close. That was....a number of years ago and I have only just begun to make a dent in her stash, now my stash. I am blessed to have so much fabric to use at will. So far, I have made 13 quilts of various sizes mostly from her stash and have many, many, many more to go.

I suspect that my stash will be more limited when I have used most of hers but that will be years and years from now.
    Old 07-01-2011, 04:27 AM

My reason for stashing was I bought before I retired from nursing,knew on SS that I would have a limited budget. Now I use my stash and only have to buy occasionally to finish a quilt.
    Old 07-01-2011, 04:50 AM

I am. I learned years ago to purchase what I like in the colors I like to make my clothing. If I decided a week later to buy it, it was gone.
    I have a set of basic clothing patterns that I've used for years so always knew the amount needed. I just redesign as needed for style or fit here and there to change them.

I found when I started quilting, I did the same thing. I'm happy I did cause with the economy today and my fixed income, I can't afford to go buy fabric unless I need something special. When I'm ready to start a new quilt, I just open my storage doors and smile while I contemplate my choices.
    Old 07-01-2011, 04:53 AM

I didn't start out wanting to become a stasher, it just happened along the way. A lot of my stash is kits. Just had to have them and never had time to make them. Trying really hard now to use up some of this stuff as I retried a couple of years ago.

mltquilt
    Old 07-01-2011, 04:53 AM
    elm

Just like you, I used to buy yarn for knitting. Then I decided to move from Massachusetts to Florida. Between my yarn and my books, reducing what I would take with me was painful. Now that I am quilting, I allow myself to buy a few precut fabrics in colors I know I'll always use to have on hand for trying out ideas. I only buy larger amounts for a specific project. Now if I could only keep myself from buying books, I might be able to declutter my condo. Living in a condo also keeps me from buying that extra fabric.
    Old 07-01-2011, 04:59 AM

My reason for stashing is that I can put a quilt together without having to go to the store. But I love to buy fabric when it is on sale so that I don't feel tooooo guilty.
    Old 07-01-2011, 05:03 AM

I am downsizing and only purchasing what I need
    You are so right you choices change over time and your are stuck with stuff u do not like
    So true it is a lesson to be learned
    it can be very overwhelming and stops productivity
    Besides you can never guess what u will need
    :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
    Old 07-01-2011, 05:05 AM

I have learned to view my stash the way I think an artist might view her pallet of paints. When I feel that wonderful desire to begin a new exciting quilt project with just the right pattern in front of me I am ready right then to make those fabric choices, which may not be when my LQS is open. It is a wonderful luxury to pull fabrics from my stash an begin right away. Also when that fabric I was sure was going to be perfect for the borders just isn't I can usually find another choice in my stash. Luxury, pure luxury, I know, and it feels like play in the most fun, relaxing and creative of ways. Just how I enjoy creating :o)
    Old 07-01-2011, 05:15 AM
    nab

Originally Posted by quilting cat
    Simply put, I'm a fabricholic -- I get a thrill out of purchasing fabric, especially about finding bargains.
    I also have this disease. I love fabric. If I am upset it calms me down; if I am unhappy, a few hours with my fabric will help me overcome; if I need time alone, I spend it in my sewing room. I really do not know what I would do without my hobbies. In addition to quilting, I crochet, needle tat, knit, and do cross stitching. I do understand those who do not want or have a stash. It's OK. You are still a quilter.
    Old 07-01-2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    I have a stash simply because I love buying, touching and gazing at beautiful fabrics!! I just can't resist. I don't spend my $$ on booze, cigs, clothes, jewelry or "going out" I pretty much only buy fabrics and quilting supplies

It is wonderful, however, to be able to go into my room, open my cabinets and just pull fabrics that strike my fancy that day and whip up a quilt. I have done this dozens of times!!! Especially if you are tired and can't get out shopping but you just want to create and sew.
    same here-fabric is my vice