Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Must NOT do's for new quilters >
  • Must NOT do's for new quilters

• Must NOT do's for new quilters

Old 06-20-2015, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by alderdweller
    New quilters - Always ALWAYS cut your scraps up immediately into useable squares, triangles, strips, ect. DO NOT ever throw them in a bag to do later!
    What about you? What tips NOT to do would you advise?
    I agree alderdweller. I spent the majority of last week cutting up bags of scraps from several swaps I hosted a couple of years ago. I will never, ever, let them pile up like that again. What a headache!
    Old 06-20-2015, 07:15 AM

I don't save scraps and never will. I don't have the room for them and if I kept them I feel the pile would make me feel like I have to use them. I don't do appliqué so I simply don't need them. I always have big ideas and aspirations for making quilts. They don't always get made because we travel a lot. I also have a tendency to be a little lax in putting things away and it doesn't take long to have a mess that makes it impossible to work in.
    Old 06-20-2015, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I piece with all colors of thread even bright red. Of course if I'm using all white fabric I use white thread. Purple, green, yellow, blue or orange thread blends in just as good as any neutral when piecing scrappy quilts or mixed fabric quilts. I like pretty colors of thread.
    So do I! I rarely, rarely use white fabric in a project preferring cream or other neutral.

I have several thread collections from Connecting Threads (sales!) and use whatever colour strikes my fancy. I've never had threads show through after the quilt is put together.
    Old 06-20-2015, 01:30 PM

I agree with some of the people that have posted I'm not really a scrap quilter but have enough that I could make a good size quilt with. I wouldn't save them if your not planing on making a scrap quilt-give them away or take them to a Auction. I try to change out my needle on my sewing machine every couple of months. I try to do research on some products before I guy them so I'm not wasting my money. I'm really big at asking questions if I don't know about something about quilting and observing others.
    Old 06-20-2015, 06:54 PM

Don't get caught in TIME. Stay in the moment and enjoy the process. It is okay to be slower, take longer to finish, and not set so many quilting goals of how much you can accomplish each day and month. Quilting should be JOY!