Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • my awesome thrift store score! >
  • my awesome thrift store score!

• my awesome thrift store score!

Old 01-09-2014, 07:18 AM

Good for you!! I once got a great deal like that at a thrift shop too! I still have some of the fabrics. It was so exciting! I often stop at the thrift shop and buy clothes just to cut up fro crafts. Got a really cute wool skirt yesterday...if it had been my size I'd be wearing it... but it's not... so it will be an owl one day! I also got a cute crocheted vest that I was going to cut up to make an infinity scarf... but I tired it on... it fit .. and its cute! So I'll be wearing it for awhile first!
    Old 01-09-2014, 08:09 AM

Fantastic find!

Originally Posted by Gannyrosie
    Great find. There is a thrift store a couple of blocks from me, and I've been wanting to make a jean quilt and saw any jean for $2. Wish they had material, maybe one day. I'll keep looking though it's only a walk away.
    If this is a privately owned thrift store and not a chain like Value Village, Goodwill, etc. talk to them and they may have donations that they can't use that they would give you. I found the local Catholic charity in my home town of Dade City, FL did that for me. I asked them to save out any jeans that they couldn't use for 2 days - and they did! I didn't ask an open ended thing, or give an unreasonable amount of time, but I got plenty of jeans out of that thrift store and our spouse abuse center (I asked them to save them for 2 days). I got plenty.
    Old 01-09-2014, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Pimperella
    Awesome Bargain!
    I've found great bargains in Charity Shops and Jumble Sales. You just never know what you could find in the most unlikely place.

Jumble sales?????? That's a phrase I've never heard before
    Old 01-09-2014, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Zappycat
    Good for you!! I once got a great deal like that at a thrift shop too! I still have some of the fabrics. It was so exciting! I often stop at the thrift shop and buy clothes just to cut up fro crafts. Got a really cute wool skirt yesterday...if it had been my size I'd be wearing it... but it's not... so it will be an owl one day! I also got a cute crocheted vest that I was going to cut up to make an infinity scarf... but I tired it on... it fit .. and its cute! So I'll be wearing it for awhile first!
    Our church had a rummage sale last summer. Bunches of stuff left which was given to whichever thrift store that would come and get it. The gal who chaired the event, let me have all the the men's plaid shirts I wanted. In fact, I've been ripping them apart for the last few days. I also took a ton of jeans, slacks, shorts that I will be making shopping bags out of . They'll be going to a local charity. Maybe a abuse shelter or maybe Special Olympians.

My plan as of now is to make a quilt-----------the modfied snowball that has triangles only on two opposing corners------------can't think of the pattern name. It will be donated to the church's auction in April. It's name will be---------------Rummage sale 2013.
    Old 01-09-2014, 08:31 AM

Great find on your fabrics. I visit our local thrifts pretty often for sewing supplies but I haven't hit any sales as good as yours. You can get some very good deals if you keep your eyes open.
    Rodney
    Old 01-09-2014, 08:52 AM

WOW love those kind of finds
    Old 01-09-2014, 09:13 AM

Love the re-sale shops by any name for great items for fabrics.

GrannieAnnie, I also took a ton of jeans, slacks, shorts that I will be making shopping bags out of . They'll be going to a local charity. Maybe a abuse shelter or maybe Special Olympians.

That is a great idea to use the pants etc for bags, good mission work.
    Old 01-09-2014, 10:38 AM

I did buy most of the cotton yardage, and picked carefully from the sheets. There were a couple pieces of yardage that were not to my liking so I left those for someone else. I always check sheets for fabric content and only buy the cotton ones.
    I do find that most fabrics are mixed in with the linens and not separate, so you have to look for them. The fabrics I found were not in a group together, they were in with sheets, bedspreads and blankets.
    Another good source for cotton, especially novelty prints, are XL and bigger scrubs. You usually don't lose fabric to buttonholes, etc. and with long sleeves you get a lot to work with.
    Old 01-09-2014, 11:20 AM

Great find - congratulations!
    Old 01-09-2014, 11:56 AM
    Power Poster

Great score and an even greater price. I'm sure you're glad that you stopped in.