Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My  Brown Quilt (WIP) >
  • My Brown Quilt (WIP)

• My Brown Quilt (WIP)

Old 05-28-2011, 07:39 AM

Your quilt is great -- but the story is priceless!! Thanks for making me laugh and make my day.
    Old 05-28-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
    I love your story - I could hear it told in how I imagine your New Yoiker voice. :mrgreen: The olive and red is classy and elegant and your ECHO quilting (that's what it's called 8-) ) is great - I would not attempt that by machine because I sew in all my ends by hand and that would drive me nuts. You asked about this - I pull up the bobbin thread at the beginning, leave a few inches of tail then when I have finished, I do a double knot, thread the ends onto a hand sewing needle and weave them into the batting, popping the knot into the hole the threads come out of. With regards to finishing in the place where you start off without it being visible, as I approach the end, I eyeball how many stitches it will take to finish the line then adjust my stitch length so I end up plumb in the starting hole. This is on my domestic of course but I guess you could do the same on an LA, so long as it isn't regulating the stitch length for you. :-D
    foist of all, i am prowd to say noo yawkahs tawk like dis. i told you awredy dat no one sez noo yoikers. wat woid iz dat? i have lived in noo joisey fa well ovah thoity yeahs. evybody knows i tawk like a noo joisey goil. watsa matta wi' yoo? and evyone noes ahm very classy an elagent!

second, i thought of burying the ends, but i already hated the thing so forget that idea. or, faget dat ideah. and - there are so many of them that i would never finish. when i began, i didn't plan to quilt it that way. do i look crazy to you? i planned to quilt straight across on either side of each cross seam. then either side of each vertical seam, starting and ending within the seam allowance. dat waz all. a nut job tole me ta do it dis way and i done it. dat's da lass time i lissen ta him. wattaz he no?
    so, in order to finish before 2012, i did what was expedient. i think when i wash it, things will get hidden.

when i think of echo stitching, i think of outside the shape, not inside. i guess it really doesn't matter. man, i can't wait to see the tail end of this.
    Old 05-28-2011, 09:04 AM

Thank you, Martha. I was beginning to think I was mentally deteriorating FAST.
    Originally Posted by MarthaT
    The quilt turned out great...but I'm confused, did you use any of the brown or replace all of the browns with the olive you bought or did you combine the two?

I've learned long ago that if I press on and let the quilt tell me what to do next it usually comes out way better than expected. I'm beginning to think there are no quilts that are flops, just quilts that someone gives up on. Glad you stuck with it.
    Old 05-28-2011, 09:27 AM

And look what you ended up with -- a lovely red quilt, highlighted by other colors that make your precious reds just pop. Using a less dull color would have competed with the reds instead of showing them off.
    Old 05-28-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
    The quilt turned out great...but I'm confused, did you use any of the brown or replace all of the browns with the olive you bought or did you combine the two?

I've learned long ago that if I press on and let the quilt tell me what to do next it usually comes out way better than expected. I'm beginning to think there are no quilts that are flops, just quilts that someone gives up on. Glad you stuck with it.
    in the center photo, you can see where i switched over to the real olive. the real olive then became the olive border with two full blocks all the way around. everything inside the real olive was the original brown. on the real olive edge, the reds continued as they did before, all the way to the outside of the quilt edges, where i finished up with 2 narrow borders of dark burgundy, different shades, also stash.

i'm happy to report that the only thing i bought was the olive fabric, about 2 yards, and thread. the backing was paid for by a long-gone customer who changed her mind. i figure that i used up about 16 yards of fabric from stash on this quilt. 9 yards for the backing (and there is more), approximately 9 yards for the front (not counting seam allowances) making 18 yards. but i had to buy 2 yards of olive, so that totals 16 yards OUT!!! i also used up a bunch of pieces of batting, which i sewed together in strips, using that up as well. i have enough of the burgundy left for binding.

how come i have no more space than before i started??

EDIT: not 2 full blocks. only 1 - 1/2 blocks all around. sorry.
    Old 05-28-2011, 09:50 AM

Wellll - I have to agree with you about the colors - but I LOVED YOUR STORY!
    Old 05-28-2011, 09:53 AM

;)
    Old 05-28-2011, 10:16 AM

Thanks so much for sharing yur delightful story! I would have never combined those colors, but the reds sure do "pop" out and I'm sure that's what you wanted. By the way, your quilt is looking good!
    Old 05-28-2011, 10:37 AM

Okay, I understand now. I thought the third picture was the whole quilt. Still, I love the love...real olive or brown.
    Originally Posted by butterflywing
    Originally Posted by dixiechunk

in the center photo, you can see where i switched over to the real olive. the real olive then became the olive border with two full blocks all the way around. everything inside the real olive was the original brown. on the real olive edge, the reds continued as they did before, all the way to the outside of the quilt edges, where i finished up with 2 narrow borders of dark burgundy, different shades, also stash.

i'm happy to report that the only thing i bought was the olive fabric, about 2 yards, and thread. the backing was paid for by a long-gone customer who changed her mind. i figure that i used up about 16 yards of fabric from stash on this quilt. 9 yards for the backing (and there is more), approximately 9 yards for the front (not counting seam allowances) making 18 yards. but i had to buy 2 yards of olive, so that totals 16 yards OUT!!! i also used up a bunch of pieces of batting, which i sewed together in strips, using that up as well. i have enough of the burgundy left for binding.

how come i have no more space than before i started??

EDIT: not 2 full blocks. only 1 - 1/2 blocks all around. sorry.
    Old 05-28-2011, 10:42 AM

The quilt looks great. And by the way, olive is a very close cousin to brown.