Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My Darling? Husband >
  • My Darling? Husband

• My Darling? Husband

Old 01-19-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
    I use to hand quilt while my husband watched his shoot 'em ups on TV. The quilt I was hand peicing and hand quilting when he passed away is little tiny rose buds, dark green, white and deep red. It is called The Gunfight at the OK Corral quilt. It was finished 19 years after he passed away! I love it for the memories of out tv evenings.
    Maybe you could pick a hand project to quilt and join him in fron of the tv on some nights?
    I appreciate the idea. I do stay with him in the evening. It is all day when he watches TV. I can't do that. I am 70 years old and I am going to do as much with my time as I can and watching TV is not in my plans. I love him with all my heart, but I have cancer and while it is in remission now I cannot count on that being the case forever. I'm going to do everything I can to squeeze as much out of every day and still try to be a companion to the man I love. Right now I feel like a good cry is in order.
    Old 01-19-2011, 06:02 PM
    Power Poster

My Husband doesn't need me to hold his hand when he is home. We are both grownups.
    Old 01-19-2011, 06:04 PM

Dianne...I can SO relate!!! My dh doesn't get it either. His enjoyment comes from tv and his computer. He makes little comments about what am I doing, how long will it take, etc. Drives me crazy. I feel for you.
    Old 01-19-2011, 06:05 PM

Ok..go ahead with your good cry! You deserve it! Then get back to doing what makes you happy...quilting!
    (Sometimes we all just need a good cry!)
    Old 01-19-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
    Ok..go ahead with your good cry! You deserve it! Then get back to doing what makes you happy...quilting!
    (Sometimes we all just need a good cry!)
    Thank you so much. Just knowing that someone understands helps more than I can say.
    Old 01-19-2011, 07:08 PM

I think it really helps when you both have a hobby. I sew, my DH plays with his tractors and woodworking. We admire each other's "stuff".
    Old 01-19-2011, 08:28 PM

I'm very thankful for my husband. Besides being supportive (since when I met him, I made it clear that quilting is a part of me he has to at least accept), he helps me all the time. He has a better eye for color so he does my block layouts. He helps me when I can't decide on a border, and we're going to the Tucson quilt show on Sunday and he only complains after a few hours if I forget to feed him :D. I dated a guy who didn't love the quilting. He told me I had to move with him to Nashville or it was over. I picked Tucson and my LQS over him in Nashville (and never once regretted it) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Old 01-19-2011, 08:31 PM

I am so sorry your husband feels this way. I have to say my hubby is wonderful about supporting my sewing/quilting/machine habits. Have you made anything just for him??? Maybe a TV control holder to fit over his chair and a small quilt?

Margie
    Old 01-19-2011, 08:48 PM

My DH has been pretty supportive of my quilting and crocheting and knitting. He doesn't want to join in and DO it but our dog leads him to the sewing room when he has been away so he will know where to find me! I crochet and knit in the living room so there is frequently yarn and crochet thread around my chair. He repairs clocks and pocket watches and today he was working on a clock on one end of the dining room table and I was cutting fabric on the other end. An unusual way to be together but enjoyable. We will be married 60 years this fall. Just today he recommended that I get my favorite sewing machine repaired, even though it will cost aobut $260. I never complain when he gets new tools either. I baby him a bit by making home made bread and cinnamon rolls all the time. Never hurts to encourage a good thing!
    Old 01-19-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by dpparris
    My husband is a GEM. He has always supported any hobby I have had, but... I support his as well. I like to hand quilt and can sit in the same room as him and we talk and I quilt. He likes to watch me "build" things on the machine.
    Thats funny, my husband calls it "building" a quilt too.