Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My Duh moment >
  • My Duh moment

• My Duh moment

Old 10-18-2011, 06:26 AM

I have been frustrated to death with trying to achieve the perfect 1/4 in seam, the 1/4 foot I have does not help at all so I finally decided to play with all the stitches on my machine and pull out the manual. Well they have a stitch marked Q that positions the needle with the regular foot for a perfect 1/4 in seam; after running several scrap pieces it indeed does exactly that; I could have saved myself lots of frustration if I just sat down and actually read the manual. And yes when I got the machine I did sit down and stitch every one that was on it; I just never paid any attention. When my new baby arrives today I will certainly sit down and make a cheat sheet, laminate it and keep it with me every time I sit down at it!!!
    Old 10-18-2011, 06:43 AM

What make and model of machine do you have? That is very useful information that others may not be aware of either.
    Old 10-18-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by akrogirl
    What make and model of machine do you have? That is very useful information that others may not be aware of either.
    A while back I bought a Brother machine at Wally World it was marked down to 109.00 a Brother CE8080PRW with 80 stitches and about 6 made specifically for quilting. When I bought it, I had no idea I would get the quilting bug, it was more for crafts, clothes for the grand-kids etc..... .
    Old 10-18-2011, 06:58 AM
    MTS
    Banned

Here's a nice visual if you're still in search of the elusive scant seam allowance:
    http://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2011/...t-14-inch.html
    Old 10-18-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick
    A while back I bought a Brother machine at Wally World it was marked down to 109.00 a Brother CE8080PRW with 80 stitches and about 6 made specifically for quilting. When I bought it, I had no idea I would get the quilting bug, it was more for crafts, clothes for the grand-kids etc..... .
    The quilting bug was hiding in the box, just waiting to jump out and bite you, but only after you got the machine home.

:lol:
    Old 10-18-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    The quilting bug was hiding in the box, just waiting to jump out and bite you, but only after you got the machine home.

:lol:
    rotflol
    Old 10-18-2011, 08:37 AM
    Power Poster

hmmmm, i have a different brother from wally world. i haven't tried all of the stitches, either. guess i'd better sit down and try.
    Old 10-18-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
    Here's a nice visual if you're still in search of the elusive scant seam allowance:
    http://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2011/...t-14-inch.html
    Wow thank you sew much for that!! I will definitely try that one, I have the 1/4 in down on my brother, now I will try to achieve the scant on my new Janome that I have been playing with for the last 2 hrs.......
    Old 10-18-2011, 09:12 AM

I have been frustrated to death with trying to achieve the perfect 1/4 in seam, the 1/4 foot I have does not help at all so I finally decided to play with all the stitches on my machine and pull out the manual. Well they have a stitch marked Q that positions the needle with the regular foot for a perfect 1/4 in seam; after running several scrap pieces it indeed does exactly that; I could have saved myself lots of frustration if I just sat down and actually read the manual. And yes when I got the machine I did sit down and stitch every one that was on it; I just never paid any attention. When my new baby arrives today I will certainly sit down and make a cheat sheet, laminate it and keep it with me every time I sit down at it!!!
    I can understand that. My husband is going to be gone for a few days hunting and I am going to get my books out and "learn" to use my machine better. ")
    Old 10-18-2011, 09:14 AM

Shhh!!! Don't say that too loudly. Its usually men that don't read instructions!