Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My first memories of Quilts were.... >
  • My first memories of Quilts were....

• My first memories of Quilts were....

Old 07-28-2011, 06:55 PM

Mine was the quilt my grandmother made for me when in 1951. I still have it, one of my most cherished possessions.
    Old 07-28-2011, 09:51 PM

In the 1940's I slept under a crazy quilt made with silks &
    Velvets & I loved to feel each special piece. Unfortunately,
    it wore completely out.
    Old 07-29-2011, 03:02 AM

I remember combing wool that had come from other quilts. We combed until it was fluffy as clouds. Then the wool and bolts of fabric (one was a beautiful plaid of blue and pink and the other was solid maroon) were delivered to a group of sisters who would make two quilts. Those were the most beautiful quilts I had ever seen -- especially the plaid. they were whole cloth quilts with beautiful hand quilting designs and scalloped edges. Those quilts were on our beds for years and years. I have no idea where they are today.
    Old 07-29-2011, 03:59 AM

My mom was part of a once a month 'sewing circle' and I think she might have been the youngest member. Before I started school, I would go with her and play under the quilt frame. It was kinda like a tent. I would play with fabric scraps with my dolls under there.
    Old 07-29-2011, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by MawMaw B
    Both grandmothers had quilts, but most vivid memory is of my mother's great aunt. Mom saved her scraps and she gave them to her aunt to make a quilt in the 1950's. It turned into a double wedding ring quilt with yellow and lavender centers. My GGA had a quilting frame and her friends would quilt at her house. I remember playing under it as a child. Some how the double wedding ring never got quilted, so Mom had it at her house. One year, probably in the late 1990's she asked me if I wanted it. We washed it and I brought it home where it sat for a few years. I decided it was time to quilt it in 2004. I sandwiched and quilted it by hand using a hoop. My daughter got married in 2005 and the quilt was my gift to her. I am enclosing pictures of the quilt and her.
    The quilt is beautiful and your daughter too.
    Old 07-29-2011, 04:52 AM

When I was in the first grade our house burnt down on christmas eve, someone donated 2 crazy quilts. I was in love with quilts since then.
    Old 07-29-2011, 04:52 AM

i remember heavy wool batt quilts on grandma's farm, when i slept there. the house was cold, and the quilts were warm. i remember my blue,pink and white sunbonnet sue and overall sam, when i was tiny--that was a summer quilt. i remember a white and royal blue quilt my step-great grandmother made. i remember playing under the quilting frame at the ladies' "missionary meetings" for church, and watching all those hands above, making stitches.

nice thing is that all those quilts are still around my house, in cupboards, on beds, in view. my youngest daughter grew up with the plainest of the farm quilts--an old antique blue tied quilt, and it is still her favorite. i have the one i slept under the most--feedsack, 1930s fabric. and sunbonnet sue/overall sam is stored carefully for the day it can be properly displayed. i love these old things, and my mom had the foresight to write little notes and put with them, so i'd know, "someday".
    Old 07-29-2011, 05:23 AM

There isn't much of a quilting heritage in my family. Both of my grandmothers had those 1940's chenille spreads on all the beds in their houses, in lots of different colors. They both sewed, but they made clothes, curtains, and nothing else that I can remember. My mother's mother also did a lot of needlework (I have a very pretty pillowcase with a bluebird cross-stitch along the open edge). My other grandmother worked outside the home, so she didn't have a whole lot of time for crafty stuff.

My mom does have one quilt that my great-grandmother made. I like that it's in the family and I'll make sure it's preserved, but I don't think it'll ever be displayed, because it is mud-ugly. It's a simple 4-patch pattern in small red gingham and solid black, tied with bright yellow and green yarn. I'm sure that was just what was available to a very poor woman in very rural Indiana a hundred years ago, but... it's still ugly. *shrug*
    Old 07-29-2011, 05:44 AM

The insanely heavy scrappy crazy quilts my gran made from anything she could get her hands on - including the fabric off an old couch before they threw it out. But every scrap had a story and she had no qualms about staying up at night telling those stories as long as my cousins and I wanted to listen. Those quilts and those stories are what fueled my passion for genealogy AND quilting.
    Old 07-29-2011, 05:44 AM

I remember as a young girl having a quilt that I slept with every night. I loved the weight and the touch of it. I am sure that quilt was loving worn to pieces. I never knew what happened to it. When I was twelve, my grandmother and I traveled to Kentucky to move my great grandmother to Florida as she was no longer able to care for herself. We had visited my GGM many times throughout my childhood and I had always remembered the many quilts she had made by hand and loved every one of them.When I was a young woman, my grandmother gifted me one of those quilts and I still have it. It has become frayed in areas and the binding as worn out almost entirely but I love that quilt and I will always have it near. I had thought of restoring it but I am almost afraid for fear that it may disintegrate entirely.This quilt is probably about 80 years old according to my mom. Sorry this pic is so light. Donna
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-233249.jpe