Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My first memories of Quilts were.... >
  • My first memories of Quilts were....

• My first memories of Quilts were....

Old 07-29-2011, 06:33 AM

My first memory was my Grandma and my Mom looking at a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt and my Grandma saying that she didn't make it - she thought her mom made it. Grandma was born in 1889 and said she always remembered it. I have it now and, although it's a bit frayed, I love it.
    Old 07-29-2011, 07:14 AM

Quilts were on all our beds. I don't remember blankets. Feed and Flour sacks were free, and batting was cheap. Blankets cost money but I didn't know that then. Every one I knew used quilts. It was a way of life.
    Old 07-29-2011, 07:40 AM

Blue jean quilt. My mom made bunches of them and we put them on top of a blanket. She only made the top no sandwich. They were not warm thats why we had a blanket under them. My older brother had a beautiful red and white dutch puzzle and I wanted it so bad. One day about 25 years later my mom was going to toss it and I told her how much I loved that quilt when I was a child. After she died I found where she kept one block of it.I know she was planning on making the quilt for me. I still have the block somewhere in my storage bins. Nineteen years and I still miss my mom.
    Old 07-29-2011, 07:43 AM

Jan in va. I hope I get to see your quilt when you reproduce it.
    Old 07-29-2011, 07:51 AM

When I was small my Mother worked in a factory that cut and sewed winter coat out of wool matt.As my mother ran the machine that cut the coats out she got to bring the scraps home. On satureys we always sit around the old kitchen table and cut out little square blocks and made quilts from those wool scraps.Oh!! the memorys. Handquilter
    Old 07-29-2011, 08:06 AM

My husband's family had all of the quilts, not mine. No one in my family sewed much of anything until I came along & took it up in Jr High. I always marveled at the quilts my then-boyfriend, now-husband's grandmother would make & give to her grandkids. One Christmas before we were even engaged she surprised me & gave one to me! I'll never forget when she told me that I was the first "outsider" ever to get one! We have been married almost 30 years now & she is no longer of this world, but my husband & I & my kids each have one of her quilts.
    Old 07-29-2011, 08:24 AM

Growing up my family lived with my grandparents. Once a year we had to get all the quilts which were stored upstairs in quilt boxes (huge wooden chests) and carry them outside to "air". Then it was back upstairs until the next year. My bedroom was upstairs, and not heated, so slept under multiple quilts in the winter, some woolen and heavy.
    Old 07-29-2011, 09:20 AM

mine was of my grandmother sitting sewing squares together when I was a kid and into my teens and I'm 68 now, so long time ago. She also sewed some of my first maternity tops in l962 and I see some of those fabrics in a patchwork she made. Wonderful memories.
    Old 07-29-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Phannie1
    My grandmothers always had quilts. when we all came to visit them; the quilts came out. They were all different kinds. Some were ugly and was made for use as padding. These would be layered for "pallets" for sleeping for the beds where for the adults. with about 8 to 10 kids there would be many "pallets" all over the place. The the tops would have the pretty quilts for the top layers. I would always get the prettiest for I was the Girlie Girl and I wanted to sleep pretty. In the closet where the quilts were stored was always that quilt I never saw used. It was a Double Wedding Ring set in yellow. I always wondered about it. As an adult, was told that the yellow quilt had been made by my great-grand mother for my grandfather's bride. Over the years my grandparents died when I was a kid and the quilt was out of site. then one family reunion the subject turned to quilts and that "yellow quilt" came up. My dad's cousin had gotten prosession of that quilt and when I told her about the history of the quilt, she went home and retrieved the quilt and gave it to me. I now have the quilt my great-grandmother made and one of the pretty quilts my grandmother made. What was your first memories of quilts?
    Mine were tacked as she called it now they say tied or knot.One she hand quilted was spool block or apple core some people call it grand mother called it Axe Blade
    Old 07-29-2011, 10:22 AM

My grandmother had several quilts that her mother made for her but my grandmother never quilted any herself. These were made of men's old wool suits and had flannel backing. They were dark and not pretty by any means, but were heavy and very warm. I would give my eye teeth to have even one of them now but my family never valued anything like that and they are gone forever.
    When I was a child a next door neighbour hand quilted the most beautiful quilts, lots of pretty colours, lots of different designs. Wish I had had the foresight to ask her to teach me as I am sure she would have.