Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My first memories of Quilts were.... >
  • My first memories of Quilts were....

• My first memories of Quilts were....

Old 07-30-2011, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by cedarvalleyquilts
    Crawling and playing under my grandparents' quilt frame they had set up in the living room. They both hand quilted for the church bazaar....and Grandma taught me how to piece when I was little.....unfortunately I forgot most of everything she taught, as I didn't pick up quilting again until recently. But I do remember the two of them stitching away together in the living room.

Christine
    Yes, my memories are similar. I was about 5 years old. My grandmother and "Grandma Alley" (as my grandmother called her because she was much older than my grandmother) sitting at the quilt frame in the living room stitching on a quilt that I still have. They were making a double bed-size quilt for me, which I still have (and now I'm a grandmother!) My quilt has a white background and has pieced fans in the each block. They also made my grandmother a quilt of the same pattern, it has a red background. I used the quilts on my beds for years, but now, of course, they are very carefully preserved.
    Old 07-30-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dean
    All Grandmammys quilts were later burned in a fire.
    How sad. I can empathize with you. My mother's family home burned down - then the next one also burned down - before she was out of high school. Many things were lost in the fires - quilts, a book of family geneology, to name a few. Mom still has the quilts given to them by neighbors after the last fire. They are well-used and loved. Thakfully, my grandmother had the presence of mind to wrap a couple of children in two heirloom quilts. Mom still has those as well. They date to the mid-1800s, and probably will go to a museum when Mom dies.
    Old 07-30-2011, 09:34 PM

The first quilt I remember was a heavily embroidered crazy quilt with a lace ruffle around it. It was a wedding gift for my parents back in the 20s, but I don't know who made it. I loved all the satins and velvets. My niece has it now.
    My mother made a sunburst quilt for a raffle at our little church. The sunburst was made from men's ties which she had gathered at church. She would say, "you've worn that tie long enough" - and cut it off! The small ends made a matching pillow.
    Old 07-31-2011, 08:10 AM

I vividly remember the first quilt I 'owned'. I was a student teacher in high school with a kindergarten class. At the end of the year, The teacher presented me with a beautiful red and white quilt she made just for me. I owned it for two days. I left foster care two days after I received it. When I returned to my father's house, my stepmother, (who could have given lessons to Joan Crawford) confiscated it, and sold it. I cried in my room for weeks. It was the first gift I had ever received. I still remember what it looked like, but I have never seen the pattern.
    Old 07-31-2011, 08:10 AM

oops, dufus moment.....
    Old 07-31-2011, 08:54 AM

. It was the first gift I had ever received. I still remember what it looked like, bit I have never seen the pattern.[/quote]

This is heartbreaking. Hope you are happily making quilts of your own and that you can one day come across the same design. Hugs.
    Old 07-31-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
    I vividly remember the first quilt I 'owned'. I was a student teacher in high school with a kindergarten class. At the end of the year, The teacher presented me with a beautiful red and white quilt she made just for me. I owned it for two days. I left foster care two days after I received it. When I returned to my father's house, my stepmother, (who could have given lessons to Joan Crawford) confiscated it, and sold it. I cried in my room for weeks. It was the first gift I had ever received. I still remember what it looked like, bit I have never seen the pattern.
    What a tough start in life. I'm so sorry for your many losses. I'm glad you had someone who cared so much about you for at least that time in your life, as that teacher clearly did. No wonder quilts are so special to you now. I hope you have many, many people in your life now who treasure you!
    Old 07-31-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
    Originally Posted by madamekelly
    I vividly remember the first quilt I 'owned'. I was a student teacher in high school with a kindergarten class. At the end of the year, The teacher presented me with a beautiful red and white quilt she made just for me. I owned it for two days. I left foster care two days after I received it. When I returned to my father's house, my stepmother, (who could have given lessons to Joan Crawford) confiscated it, and sold it. I cried in my room for weeks. It was the first gift I had ever received. I still remember what it looked like, bit I have never seen the pattern.
    What a tough start in life. I'm so sorry for your many losses. I'm glad you had someone who cared so much about you for at least that time in your life, as that teacher clearly did. No wonder quilts are so special to you now. I hope you have many, many people in your life now who treasure you!
    Yes, I do, because I know I am a better person than those I put up with as a child. If I ever found myself homeless, I could chose among many states to live in. I am truly blessed and thank God for it every day. I am a NAZI, when it comes to children being hurt!
    Old 07-31-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by dphelps
    I remember as a young girl having a quilt that I slept with every night. I loved the weight and the touch of it. I am sure that quilt was loving worn to pieces. I never knew what happened to it. When I was twelve, my grandmother and I traveled to Kentucky to move my great grandmother to Florida as she was no longer able to care for herself. We had visited my GGM many times throughout my childhood and I had always remembered the many quilts she had made by hand and loved every one of them.When I was a young woman, my grandmother gifted me one of those quilts and I still have it. It has become frayed in areas and the binding as worn out almost entirely but I love that quilt and I will always have it near. I had thought of restoring it but I am almost afraid for fear that it may disintegrate entirely.This quilt is probably about 80 years old according to my mom. Sorry this pic is so light. Donna
    The quilt is beaituful.
    Old 07-31-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by candlequilter
    Originally Posted by Phannie1
    My grandmothers always had quilts. when we all came to visit them; the quilts came out. They were all different kinds. Some were ugly and was made for use as padding. These would be layered for "pallets" for sleeping for the beds where for the adults. with about 8 to 10 kids there would be many "pallets" all over the place. The the tops would have the pretty quilts for the top layers. I would always get the prettiest for I was the Girlie Girl and I wanted to sleep pretty. In the closet where the quilts were stored was always that quilt I never saw used. It was a Double Wedding Ring set in yellow. I always wondered about it. As an adult, was told that the yellow quilt had been made by my great-grand mother for my grandfather's bride. Over the years my grandparents died when I was a kid and the quilt was out of site. then one family reunion the subject turned to quilts and that "yellow quilt" came up. My dad's cousin had gotten prosession of that quilt and when I told her about the history of the quilt, she went home and retrieved the quilt and gave it to me. I now have the quilt my great-grandmother made and one of the pretty quilts my grandmother made. What was your first memories of quilts?
    Would love to see such a special quilt if you can post pictures?

Thanks,
    Sherryl
    Candlequilter
    Finally got pictures made. Thanks for asking.

Mammy Phillips's 1920's
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]234553[/ATTACH]

Helen Phillips's 1950's
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]234555[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-234547.jpe   attachment-234548.jpe   attachment-234549.jpe   attachment-234551.jpe