Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My Good News about a 401A Singer >
  • My Good News about a 401A Singer

• My Good News about a 401A Singer

Old 08-06-2011, 05:21 AM

Congratulations on getting your Mother's machine back and enjoy using it again.
    Old 08-06-2011, 05:23 AM
    Power Poster

That's good news! Glad to hear!!
    Old 08-06-2011, 06:26 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by hawk
    I just got my Singer out of the shop and it runs great--less than $200 in repairs. Here is the story: My Mother bought this machine new in 1960. She sewed quite a bit and considered this a lifetime investment. I learned to sew on it. My daughter learned to sew on it. Somehow it got misplaced in all the drama when Mom got Alzheimers, nursing homes, etc. and I never thought I'd see it again. Then I got a phone call asking if I wanted it back (from a family member that was just using it for the cabinet)--you bet I did! It hasn't sewn for probably close to 20 yrs, just been sitting. Took it to a guy lives down the road and it runs like new. I am so proud of it. My next project: fixing my mil's 1919 Singer! I am on a roll!
    how wonderful!
    Old 08-06-2011, 06:35 AM

I am so glad the machine is back where it belongs. Someplace where she will be loved and has a very good home. Enjoy!!!
    Old 08-06-2011, 08:06 AM

That is such a great story Hawk! A wonderful machine, but so much more significant because of the memories you have of your Mom and using it. how sweet that your 401 found it's way home! May you stitch many more happy memories!
    Old 08-06-2011, 08:19 AM

Wonderful news!

I have a 401A that I recently received-long story. I learned to sew on my mother's 403A. It's still in her house suffering from neglect. I need to see about getting it spruced up.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 AM

My 401 was purchased in 1960- head only $350.
    That was top of the line at that time.
    It served me well all these years- clothing for myself- then my 6 children and 7 grands! Also slipcover, curtins, gifts , quilts, etc.

it is still in good working order- Only 1 major repair in about 1982- It needed a new motor ($75.00)

Can't beat a machine with all metal parts! No plastic!
    Old 08-06-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by hawk
    I just got my Singer out of the shop and it runs great--less than $200 in repairs. Here is the story: My Mother bought this machine new in 1960. She sewed quite a bit and considered this a lifetime investment. I learned to sew on it. My daughter learned to sew on it. Somehow it got misplaced in all the drama when Mom got Alzheimers, nursing homes, etc. and I never thought I'd see it again. Then I got a phone call asking if I wanted it back (from a family member that was just using it for the cabinet)--you bet I did! It hasn't sewn for probably close to 20 yrs, just been sitting. Took it to a guy lives down the road and it runs like new. I am so proud of it. My next project: fixing my mil's 1919 Singer! I am on a roll!

I bought my first Singer in 1964 and since then have totally worn out 3 Singer machines. All of them were wonderful machines, (but parts are no longer available) and I would buy any one of them again, new, if that was possible! The new ones just don't measure up. I inherited a 26 year old Pfaff and loved it, so just purchased an Expression 4.0 for more quilting options. Once you find a machine that suits you, it doesn't make any difference what the next person has or prefers. Enjoy your "new" "old" favorite!
    Old 08-06-2011, 01:47 PM

So happy for you, the 401 is such a great machine. I LOVE vintage machines, although I do own a couple of newer ones, (embroidery and quilting). You cannot beat a 401 for power and dependability.:)
    Old 08-06-2011, 03:03 PM

I understand they are wonderful machines...how about a picture of this baby?