Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • my guidelines and rules >
  • my guidelines and rules

• my guidelines and rules

Old 04-14-2018, 05:58 AM

I try to do the best that I know how. I try to always do my best work, but I have found that some of my older ufos are not today’s quality. I try to fix them as much as I can and then I give them away to charity. A nonquilter will not see what I see.
    Old 04-14-2018, 06:13 AM

I read that statement a lot. "It's your quilt do as you like." I think it is unfair to the person who asks the question. She/he might be a new quilter, and there are just some ideas that work better than others. How else can someone learn? I had a terrible time making the nice corners on my binding. They were a mess. Yes, it was my quilt, but this isn't what I wanted, so that advise was worthless to me. Anyway, it is a rude comment in my opinion. Sorry ladies. I am a fish swimming upstream here I know. I don't want to sound as mean as this sounds, so forgive me.
    Old 04-14-2018, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK
    I have the 'three try' rule. If I try to improve on an intersection or point, the third try is the way it stays. I find keeping to this rule helps me hold on to my sanity.

I like my seams to lie flat at intersections and prefer to swirl them. I have been known to rework a pattern just so the seams can be swirled and not cause lumps. At the moment I am working on a project that is time sensitive and am following 'their' directions for pressing. I am finding that I am not enjoying the process because I know I could have done better. Lesson learned.

If, for whatever reason, a seam is narrower than it should be, I make a point of double stitching so that it will have less chance of pulling apart.
    I was just going to say the same thing about the "3 try" rule. I call it "3 times and you're out" rule.
    Old 04-14-2018, 07:14 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingle
    In a few words. For me I try to do the best I can on every quilt I make.
    I am right with you on that one.
    Old 04-14-2018, 07:31 AM

I agree - we all make our own 'rules' based on the things that are important to us in our quiltmaking. My thoughts are with the newbie. They get hung up on what others say are 'rules' and lose out on the fun part of making a quilt. I believe they will discover what is important to them and other things will improve as they continue to quilt. So, other than the accurate 1/4" seams and safety with a rotary cutter, I try to teach my students to enjoy the process, I explain techniques, make suggestions on fabrics and the details will come along as they learn.
    Old 04-14-2018, 01:55 PM
    mac

Unfortunately, I am not a consistent person and my husband says that the only thing consistent about me is my inconsistency. So my rules are very simple, I really don't have any rules. I just get too bogged down and then I don't get anything done.

Now, even as I say that, I would have to say that my only internal/subconscious rule is that I do as good as a job as I possibly can. I keep learning new techniques and I put into play what I think works for what I am doing.
    Old 04-14-2018, 03:13 PM

To me, there are 2 parts to a quilt: design and technique. For me, the design must be artistically attractive and interesting. Technique is how I accomplish the design. I want it to look professional when finished but may use some odd techniques. It shouldn't have lumps, holes, unintensional wavy edges, unintensional lost points, etc. Sometimes a serendipity happens and often improves the design. It might not have been intensional, but I'll keep it anyway. I llike to continue making decisions all the way to the end of making the quilt.
    Old 04-15-2018, 04:32 AM

Some of my best quilts are the ones I did not angst over, my happy accidents, go figure!! Lol!
    Old 04-15-2018, 04:49 AM

If I have a rule its "just finish" and do your best and if i get agrevated put it away and come back to it later.
    Old 04-15-2018, 05:32 AM
    Power Poster

The no rules applies more to the aesthetics rather than construction. let your quilt look what ever way it pleases you as to color, setting, sashing, borders, quilting, etc.

Building the quilt with the best techniques possible is important to the get the best possible finish and there is more than one way to get there. The choices are there, discover the ones that work best for you.

Building a quilt takes a lot of trial and error sometimes till you find the procedures that work for you. As an example, there are many ways to make a HST so use the method that works for you. We are all quilting together but on on our own paths to the finish.

peace