Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My Harbor Freight cutting blade review >
  • My Harbor Freight cutting blade review

• My Harbor Freight cutting blade review

Old 05-25-2011, 06:20 PM

I bought a few myself and haven't had any problems. It's probably a bad blade.
    Old 05-25-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Melrose V
    I read several of the posts here about the carpet cutting blades available at Harbor Freight (HF) for a fraction of the cost of replacement rotary blades sold in the fabric & craft stores.

I wasn't 100% sure my old blade was dull but once in a while I noticed it didn't cut as well it had in the past.

Off I went to HF. Lucky me, the blades were on sale for $1.49! Wow, I better get a few! At home I open the package to find not one but TWO blades! Wow, what a deal! Two blades for $1.49!

First few cuts are perfect but after a few passes of cutting with it, I'm here to say "you get what you pay for". It appears that the blade isn't round. I can feel it while the blade is rolling and now I'm getting way more uncut areas than I ever got with my former blade.

Last night I put my "old" blade back on and it cuts like butter compared to the HF carpet cutting blade.

I could have saved my time, gas and money using a coupon and getting the correct blade in the first place. I'm sure these blades would cut carpet like butter but I'm just not satisfied with the way they cut fabric.

Hope this info helps someone thinking about using carpet cutting blades.
    Thanks for the info. I think I'll use my coupon at JoAnns instead.
    Old 05-25-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by mjdutro
    You probably won't even read my reply to you but I want you to know that I highly disagree. I have never had a better blade. It is the sharpest of any brand that I have used. I have the same blade in use for months at a time. I am not at all exaggerating. Too me it was a super bargain. Martie in CA
    I did read your reply and wanted you to know it's OK to have a different opinion than mine.

Your experience has been different than my experience.

My opinion is different than your opinion.

I don't quite understand how you can "highly disagree" with my experience when it's my experience let alone how you can "highly disagree" with my opinion when it's my opinion but I do want you to know I did read your reply.

Thank you for sharing, I think. ;-)
    Old 05-25-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by gale
    Originally Posted by mjdutro
    You probably won't even read my reply to you but I want you to know that I highly disagree. I have never had a better blade. It is the sharpest of any brand that I have used. I have the same blade in use for months at a time. I am not at all exaggerating. Too me it was a super bargain. Martie in CA
    How can you disagree with her experience? I'm truly confused. If she had a bad experience with them, then she did.

FWIW I tried at least 3 different packages of blades and just happened to be using a new mat. I also tried on my older mat that isn't nicked up. The same exact thing for all the blades I tried and all mats. Do you disagree? Because it really did happen.
    Thank you Gale for your comments and for sharing YOUR experience.
    Old 05-25-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by gramalama9
    What kind of cutter do you have? The HF blades have a round, not notched hole, so if you used them in an Olfa or Fiskars, they may not fit right. Martelli cutters use the round hole.
    This is what I found also, and I thought "Oh no, bad deal". But when I changed to a different cutter, the blades do fine. I will buy them again.
    Old 05-25-2011, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
    I put my old rotary blades in a butter container (plastic tub from blue bonnet or simular) I then save them to cut birthday wrap and Christmas wrap and such. I am assuming in today's world of imports and such, we can get a bad blade anywhere.
    I put my old blades in one the round tin mint cans. Then I can throw them out without anyone getting cut.
    Old 05-26-2011, 07:13 AM

I have been using these blades for a year now and love them. I have used three so far, they last much longer then the expensive blasdes. I would give it another try on scrap quilts until you are sure you want to use them.

they are the best discovery ever for me.
    Old 05-26-2011, 07:17 AM
    RDM

I greatly appreciate your review. Now know not to try them out.
    Old 05-26-2011, 01:35 PM
    Bev

The first one I ever used was a lemon. I figured I was so dumb to think I could get good ones for that price. Then I tried the second one and BINGO! It worked like a charm. I've been using nothing but the Harbor Freights since then and have gotten one more bad one. But I figure I could afford a throwaway every once in a while considering how much I'm saving in the long run. :P
    Old 05-26-2011, 01:38 PM
    Bev

Originally Posted by judyyoungs
    Originally Posted by gramalama9
    What kind of cutter do you have? The HF blades have a round, not notched hole, so if you used them in an Olfa or Fiskars, they may not fit right. Martelli cutters use the round hole.
    This is what I found also, and I thought "Oh no, bad deal". But when I changed to a different cutter, the blades do fine. I will buy them again.
    Now that's funny. I never gave a thought to the brand of rotary cutter. I've used the Harbor Freights in Olfa and in Fiskars. Both have worked fine for me. What's up with that?

8-)