Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My head is spinning about thread info! >
  • My head is spinning about thread info!

• My head is spinning about thread info!

Old 01-14-2012, 10:39 AM

I have read that some famous quilters like the bottom thread in the bobbin and use all kinds of threads for the top thread depending on if you want your quilting to show some use metallic and so on that thing about using the same thread to match the fabric is really not followed.
    Old 01-14-2012, 10:47 AM

I think some machines must just be more tolerant of using different threads top and bottom than others. Mine won't - and I've spent plenty of time, thread and patience finding that out!
    Old 01-14-2012, 10:58 AM

I use bottom line for everything and have no tension problems at all, ever. Do your own experiments and don't listen to the shoulds unless you are experiencing problems...
    Old 01-14-2012, 11:54 AM

As far as threads go, it is now just what ever you want. There are some of the people who will say that you can only use cotton thread with your cotton fabric. I have used it all and it is just fine. I use King Tut cotton and bottom line in my home stretched machine on my frame and love it. I have used Aurifil to quilt a quilt. I have used embroidery polys and rayons and almost always use Bottom Line in the bobbin. My quilts are still holding together.
    For piecing, I do like to use Aurifil, just because it is so fine. So, my suggestion is to give what ever you have a try and go from there. For me, it depends on what the project is and what color I need.
    I really don't think there are any hard/fast rules for thread anymore. Use what you have and can afford.
    Old 01-14-2012, 01:00 PM

I use Aurefil for piecing, but my long arm doesn't like it, so use either Connecting Thread or Maxi-Lock for quilting. But what ever I use, top and bottom are the same.
    Old 01-15-2012, 06:41 AM

Just like batting, thread can be a personal preference. I only use Aurafil for piecing and use it for both the top and bobbin. I have a Gammill longarm and have a perfect stitch with Permacore poly or YLI poly. As in piecing, I use the same thread for the top and bobbin. I hesitate to experiment much because I hear stories from friends about tension nightmares so I think I will stick with what works for me.
    Old 01-15-2012, 08:42 AM

I use almost exclusivly Aurifil. Is very low lint. Most all machines love it; very little issues with breaking. I use it in top and bottom. It is cotton. You don't want to mix your threads as in poly and cotton; poly will over time cut into cotton. Bottom line is a good thread and if I'm doing embroidery or doing specialty stuff I'll use it but most of the time I just use the Aurifil; why complicate things and have tons of different items on hand. Until I got my embroidery machine I just got cotton thread since I use cotton fabric.
    Old 01-15-2012, 09:24 AM

My favorite is King Tut on the top and bottom line on the bottom. They even make a chart to help match the colors. I also like Aurifil. I have found that these, which are all cotton, have very little linting in my bobbin case and on the top as well. I have not had a tension problem with the 2 different weights and the bottom line in the bobbin goes so far.
    Old 01-15-2012, 09:30 AM

The class on thread with Bob Purcell at Superior Thread is superb! I had the chance to attend one of
    the Threadology classes in St George Utah and they give you a lot of information on thread. I stick to their thread and they have guides. It was a hands on class and thread was given to everyone.
    Old 01-21-2012, 03:22 PM

If you are afraid of mixing different threads in the top and bobbin, you need to get more comfortable with adjusting tension. There is a theory that you shouldn't have to adjust tensions, but I do it all the time! I love the look of the heavier threads on top a lot of the time, but I don't necessarily like the heavy threads on the bottom. I pretty much have totally converted to using Superior Threads SuperBob prewounds that have Bottom Line on them. They hold so much more thread, and it is a bit of a pain to change the bobbin so that's a big plus for me.

To find the right tension, just make a practice sandwich and stitch. It the thread lock isn't in the middle of the sandwich, adjust. I haven't yet found any reason to adjust the bobbin tension, just the top. I would recommend beginners not adjust the bobbin tension until they are awfully comfortable with their machine though it is necessary for really thick bobbin threads.

Pam