Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My hint for today! >
  • My hint for today!

• My hint for today!

Old 11-10-2010, 04:47 PM

"Zots" the little sticky dots for papercrafting. They stick to the ruler, are easy to move off the fabric, and are replacable when they get full of lint.
    Old 11-11-2010, 10:35 AM

I use an antique flat iron mom used to heat on the wood stove when I was a in grade school and a needle work door stop brick. Nothing moves when they are in place.
    Old 11-11-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
    I always seem to have trouble with my rulers moving when I am rotary cutting, especially the longer rulers. I have tried one of those handles and that helped some, but the ruler still moved. I was trying to think of something HEAVY to put on top of the ruler to keep it from moving when I spotted my barbell weights that I use to exercise. I have two 8 pound weights. I put both of them on top of my long ruler and cut away with my rotary cutter. No movement! It works great!

I bought the weights at a garage sale and paid only about 4 or 5 dollars for them both and now they do double duty, as sewing room notions and exercise equipment.

Bonus - I do get a bit of an extra workout every time I move those heavy weights!

What different or weird thing do you use in your sewing room for a helper?
    I use the little sandpaper dics, & then one of our instructors told me to always hold some of my fingers on the ruller & some on the fabric & that works great for me. Eva
    Old 11-18-2010, 05:37 PM

Please explain the emery board hint.
    Old 11-18-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Greeter Eva
    I always seem to have trouble with my rulers moving when I am rotary cutting, especially the longer rulers. I have tried one of those handles and that helped some, but the ruler still moved. I was trying to think of something HEAVY to put on top of the ruler to keep it from moving when I spotted my barbell weights that I use to exercise. I have two 8 pound weights. I put both of them on top of my long ruler and cut away with my rotary cutter. No movement! It works great!

I bought the weights at a garage sale and paid only about 4 or 5 dollars for them both and now they do double duty, as sewing room notions and exercise equipment.

Bonus - I do get a bit of an extra workout every time I move those heavy weights!

I use the little sandpaper dics, & then one of our instructors told me to always hold some of my fingers on the ruller & some on the fabric & that works great for me. Eva
    What a great tip! I am going to try this. Thanks!
    Old 11-18-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by ann clare
    I find the sandpaper discs great.
    Doesn't the sandpaper damage your fabric?
    Old 11-18-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
    I have the glueless tape, it clings by friction, and I use it for a lot of things. Great stuff. I try to keep a roll in my sewing box at all times.
    What is glueless tape? Where do you get it?
    Old 11-18-2010, 07:09 PM

I use small pieces of medium grit sandpaper that my DH had in the shed. It doesn't harm the fabric at all. Emery boards are fine grit sandpaper on cardboard, so it will work, you just have to peel it off the cardboard and then cut it.

To make it stick, I used double stick tape but a few fell off, so I used hot glue...just a dot and pushed down hard on the sandpaper so it's flat against the ruler. Yes, it does cover the lines, but it's worth it for no slippage. I cut a bit of finger off two summers ago when the ruler slipped and the cutter 'jumped' up onto it. My finger was in the way and took all summer to heal. Now I have a guard and sandpaper dots.
    Old 11-18-2010, 07:16 PM

I prefer the rulers with the edge that go over my cutting board if they are 24" or longer. Much easier to hold down.
    Old 11-18-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by luckylindy333
    Originally Posted by Greeter Eva

What a great tip! I am going to try this. Thanks!
    I'd cut my fingers off!!