• My hint for today! >
  • My hint for today!

• My hint for today!

Old 11-18-2010, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by labbyrobinson
    Originally Posted by luckylindy333
    Originally Posted by Greeter Eva
    Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
    I always seem to have trouble with my rulers moving when I am rotary cutting, especially the longer rulers. I have tried one of those handles and that helped some, but the ruler still moved. I was trying to think of something HEAVY to put on top of the ruler to keep it from moving when I spotted my barbell weights that I use to exercise. I have two 8 pound weights. I put both of them on top of my long ruler and cut away with my rotary cutter. No movement! It works great!

I bought the weights at a garage sale and paid only about 4 or 5 dollars for them both and now they do double duty, as sewing room notions and exercise equipment.

Bonus - I do get a bit of an extra workout every time I move those heavy weights!

What different or weird thing do you use in your sewing room for a helper?
    I use the little sandpaper dics, & then one of our instructors told me to always hold some of my fingers on the ruller & some on the fabric & that works great for me. Eva
    What a great tip! I am going to try this. Thanks!
    I'd cut my fingers off!!
    You don't have your fingers on the side of the ruler where you cut. Usually my pinky & the one next to it are on the fabric.
    Old 11-19-2010, 03:48 AM

Ok, my tip of the day.. While making bow tucks or other projects I often have to change the needles in my sewing machine. I use the jeans needle for the top stitching, quilting needle for quilting, etc. I now have a tomato pin cushion next to my machine that I use for each type of needle. I labeled each section using a sharpie with the size and type of needle. I never could seem to keep them straight and wanted to know that they weren't new but gently used.
    Old 11-19-2010, 04:08 AM

I have that plastic sheet stuff on my rulers.

When I took my first quilting class, the instructor showed us how to "walk" our fingers along the length of the ruler so it stayed in place. Place the ruler where it needs to be, hold it firmly and cut about 8 inches or so along the ruler, then "walk" your fingers along the ruler, press down firmly and cut another 8 inches or so..... repeat along the width of the fabric.

Works well for me.