Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My hint for today! >
  • My hint for today!

• My hint for today!

Old 11-09-2010, 06:05 AM

I always seem to have trouble with my rulers moving when I am rotary cutting, especially the longer rulers. I have tried one of those handles and that helped some, but the ruler still moved. I was trying to think of something HEAVY to put on top of the ruler to keep it from moving when I spotted my barbell weights that I use to exercise. I have two 8 pound weights. I put both of them on top of my long ruler and cut away with my rotary cutter. No movement! It works great!

I bought the weights at a garage sale and paid only about 4 or 5 dollars for them both and now they do double duty, as sewing room notions and exercise equipment.

Bonus - I do get a bit of an extra workout every time I move those heavy weights!

What different or weird thing do you use in your sewing room for a helper?
    Old 11-09-2010, 06:07 AM

I don't have any tips but thank you for yours. I am sure I have some weights around here somewhere, have to remember where after my kids tried using them for weapons LOL.
    Old 11-09-2010, 10:51 AM

I like the emery board suggestion that I got from this board. Works great. Haven't had any crooked cutting since using this.
    Old 11-09-2010, 10:54 AM

I put the sticky backed sandpaper discs on mine. Just a few will stop that sliding really quick!
    Old 11-09-2010, 10:59 AM

Tell me, tell me, tell me!!! How do you use the emery boards or the sandpaper discs? How large do you use? Do they block the area of the numbers and lines you want to see to use?
    Old 11-09-2010, 11:06 AM

I have heard about the sandpaper too, but no one gave any directions! Please Tell me, Tell me too!!
    Old 11-09-2010, 11:09 AM
    Power Poster

Double sided tape is all I use. Also the brand "Creative grids" non slip rulers are the best! It is now the only ones I buy.
    Old 11-09-2010, 11:12 AM

I wonder.... I have cork dots (with stick stuff on one side). Do you guys think that would keep the rulers from sliding?
    Old 11-09-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
    I wonder.... I have cork dots (with stick stuff on one side). Do you guys think that would keep the rulers from sliding?
    Just not sure if cork might make ruler "tippy" if didn't position on all corners. I LOVE my Fiskars 24 inch Rotary ruler it combines a rotary cutter and ruler for PERFECTLY straight lines. Plus can't slip and cut you or anyone else- is attached to ruler. When quilters see it are more impressed then quilts the others are working on. Got mine at Walmart little pricey but love, love it.
    Old 11-09-2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
    I always seem to have trouble with my rulers moving when I am rotary cutting, especially the longer rulers. I have tried one of those handles and that helped some, but the ruler still moved. I was trying to think of something HEAVY to put on top of the ruler to keep it from moving when I spotted my barbell weights that I use to exercise. I have two 8 pound weights. I put both of them on top of my long ruler and cut away with my rotary cutter. No movement! It works great!

I bought the weights at a garage sale and paid only about 4 or 5 dollars for them both and now they do double duty, as sewing room notions and exercise equipment.

Bonus - I do get a bit of an extra workout every time I move those heavy weights!

What different or weird thing do you use in your sewing room for a helper?
    I had the same problem. I went to my LQS and there Lo and Behold was this item (can't remember the name of it right off hand), it comes on a roll and u put it under your ruler and cut it to size and then take the backing off and it's not sticky, but it does adhear to the back of your ruler which in turn makes it difficult for it to move unless you want it to move! It has saved me many times. I went back and got more and put it on the back of all of my rulers (especially the big ones). I still have to learn not to 'push' my cutter into the ruler, but it works much better than without! It is clear so you can see through it. Maybe some of you have seen the smaller stuff on a roll u use to put on your threads so they don't unwind....it's the same idea. I'll try to get it in a pic.

I pulled away a corner so u could see
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]122457[/ATTACH]

if u look real hard u can see it
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]122458[/ATTACH]

the small roll for threads
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]122459[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-122452.jpe   attachment-122453.jpe   attachment-122454.jpe