Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My husband just doesnt understand >
  • My husband just doesnt understand

• My husband just doesnt understand

Old 10-14-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Karen Powell
    I think he hopes I will just give up and forget about it. I have continually invested it the things I need to establish my studieo hoping he see how important it is to me. I guess I could by pass him up and do it my self. I love him and dont want him to feel disrespected. But I am ready to move on or out is that to drastic. I have even suggested buying a cheep building. where I could creat and run a boothing business. So the ladies could come in and rent space to have there dream mini antique shop. And wouldnt we all love to do that. So seriouly feeling traped.
    Men (people) don't see it unless it's spelled out for them. You can't expect him to take a hint, or suggestion. Tell him WE need to do this, or that (finish your space at home, or find a new space for you). Sitting there expecting him to understand the thoughts in your head is only going to make you more frustrated. In my house, if it's something I want done I typically have to do it myself as well. Honey-do's just aren't dh strong suit.

eta- my husband doesn't quite get it - but tries. He's convinced he can make me a "really cool" sewing area based around snap-on tool boxes. I am really glad he hasn't gotten around to starting that project!
    Old 10-14-2011, 07:43 AM

ditch the junk in a dumpster and finish your sewing studio. Tell your husband I am asking you once to finish the room. Then hire people to do what you can't do. Then move in and enjoy it.
    Old 10-14-2011, 08:00 AM

You sooo deserve to have your studio finished. If he doesn't do it in a given time......hire it done! Bet if it were something he wanted it would get done in a hurry!
    Old 10-14-2011, 08:31 AM

I totally understand how you love him and don't want him to feel disrespected, but it sounds like he took over your studio and made it into a man cave. Men just don't understand the value in what any of us do! In the past I would spent months making an afghan for someone for Christmas and then mine hubby would go out and buy something to add to the gift because the afghan alone wasn't enough! You could either hire a handyman to finish it or do it yourself and then it would be exactly how you want it. There are many unfinished man projects here, When I finally get fed up--if I can't do it, I call my SIL but if I can, I call my Daughter's!! My dad was not around and it was just my mom and us 3 girls. She had the attitude of' if you want it done do it yourself.' She followed that belief with remodeling etc. Good luck! Have faith in yourself if you decide to do it yourself!
    Old 10-14-2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Being that the custom sewing is your job/business, then it's also part of that business for you to finish the room that was intended for it. Just.Do.It!

Yes, there is another problem ... it has been used for sometime for other than for your business. And it appears that it's been for more than storage ... you mentioned a flat screen, and his watching TV. Looks like he has changed this into his man-cave.

Take hold ... and start emptying the stuff, and converting it back to your Business Location!
    Totally agree!!! 10 years?! I would have had someone else come in and finish it and move the husband's stuff out!
    Old 10-14-2011, 08:36 AM

Does your husband have a passion? W ether it is football or bowling or fishing or golf .He uses tools to enjoy his love in pleasant surroundings.You are not asking him to stop that which gives him pleasure but are asking him to support you in your passion. If nothing happens I would suggest that you hire some one to finish the job who would not possibly do as good a job as he would.
    Old 10-14-2011, 08:45 AM

Have you thought about finishing a small portion at a time so not to make your husband feel inadequate. Does he ridicule you for doing what you do, if so, tell him this is therapy and much cheaper than a shrink. Besides your making money at it.
    Old 10-14-2011, 08:55 AM

Passion is a hard concept to explain to someone who never had any.... WE understand. :thumbup:
    Old 10-14-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Karen Powell
    Good idea do you know a scotch tape whole saler HUM wonder how curtains out of duct tape would look. LOL I love everyones ideas and you are making me really think about this seriously. I am a deeply devoted woman and pray for everyone and every thing else. Perhaps its not a bad Idea to pray for somthing for my self. Is that selfish ?
    I haven't read everything to the finish but just wanted to add, that I don't think that finishing the room needs to = disrespect.

It sounds like the room is mostly done. If the drywall and the floors are done, then, unless you have physical problems, most of the major work is done. If there is "stuff" in there, maybe most of it could be sold, garage saled, Craig's List or Free cycled til there is room. Obviously there is electricity.

Why can't you share the space? It sounds pretty large to me--maybe it's not, but sounds pretty nice. I'll bet he'd love it to have it cleaned out. Maybe he got overwhelmed. Like some suggested, have some friends over and clean it out--move the stuff somewhere else, paint and move in your sewing stuff. I wouldn't wait for him. Maybe he feels put upon by having to make "your fun room" for you.
    Old 10-14-2011, 09:04 AM

double post