Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My husband just doesnt understand >
  • My husband just doesnt understand

• My husband just doesnt understand

Old 10-14-2011, 09:16 AM

The TV must move out of your space. I agree that he has turned your sewing room into a man cave. Be sure that you try to communicate with him in a loving way about what your needs and expectations are and how you've interprtted letting your sewing room become his TV room and the long lapse of 10 years.

Hugs! Hope you get a sewing room and an improved relationship with the DH.
    Old 10-14-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    If the drywall's up and the floor are down, what do you need a man for? I am older and somewhat disabled, but I can still paint walls and hang drapery rods. The room is big enough for both of you. Give him a third for his recliner and TV and make sure his junk is in that section. Organize what you need in your section and get rid of anything you don't need.
    I went back and read most of the posts and I suppose this is what I was thinking as well.
    Old 10-14-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Karen Powell
    Good idea do you know a scotch tape whole saler HUM wonder how curtains out of duct tape would look. LOL I love everyones ideas and you are making me really think about this seriously. I am a deeply devoted woman and pray for everyone and every thing else. Perhaps its not a bad Idea to pray for somthing for my self. Is that selfish ?
    Absolutely it is the right thing to pray for yourself. Also (and don't hate me for saying this ladies) perhaps you need to pray for DH too, with sincerity for him to be blessed (instead of how I used to pray for my DH to be changed into what I wanted him to be). It seems your DH's not really showing himself much respect right now, either.

Hang in there ... the folks on this board have given some pretty good ideas about how to get your room finished.
    Old 10-14-2011, 11:58 AM

I can so relate to have projects that sat unfinished when it came to thinks that were important to me. The fourth house sat unfinished until it was time to put the house on the market. It was good enough for me to live with unfinished but not for someone to put up with. The next house when he did this again to me I called the most expensive carpenter in our area for a quote and when my husband returned home from a business trip I told him that on Tuesday I was having this room finished but that expensive carpenter. After he almost swallowed his fork and had regained his ability to speak, he asked how much it was going to cost. I calmy told him the amount and he replied, "I'll finish it this weekend I promise." He did and I never had to put up with an unfinished project again until he died.

It's just a suggestion but it might work for you too. Their ego can't take the news getting around that their wife really got him where it hurts, his wallet. It must be a thing about male pride having the most skilled carpenter, in the area, finishing his uncompleted projects. hehehehe

Anyone wishing to try this tactic is free to borrow my solution. It really worked for me.
    Old 10-14-2011, 12:28 PM

Empty spaces attract junk like tv screens attract dust. Junk paralyzes progress. Take a look at the junk and if it really IS just stuff taking up space---get rid of it. If it's yours and you're not using it---get rid of it. If it's his, move it out.

Once the junk is gone taking positive action will be easier. A man, a chair and a flat-screen don't take up much space so work around 'em. Give him a headset so he can hear the sports and you don't have to.

The passive/aggressive advice is entertaining and funny but not conducive to good relationships. Proverbs 31: 10-12
    Old 10-14-2011, 01:25 PM

I agree with those who said hire someone to finish it. I'd tell him first and then just do it if he balks. My guess is he'll get to moving if he sees you mean business about paying somebody else to do it. :) Sounds like it will be a wonderful studio for you. Great size.
    Old 10-14-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
    Empty spaces attract junk like tv screens attract dust. Junk paralyzes progress. Take a look at the junk and if it really IS just stuff taking up space---get rid of it. If it's yours and you're not using it---get rid of it. If it's his, move it out.

The passive/aggressive advice is entertaining and funny but not conducive to good relationships. Proverbs 31: 10-12
    I love the junk vs TV analogy, I'll have to remember that one. And I agree with Proverbs 31:10-12. I'd like to hope this Board saves more relationships than it breaks up.

As for me and my house, my DH is very attached to anything that was his grandmother's or his mother's so we have multi-generational junk! (Of course I do have a very crowded sewing room myself so....) I should have know he was a pack rat when we got married. He still had every single single note we had ever passed to each other in high school! (I threw mine away so as to avoid any evidence before I got home from school.)

And I try to remember, when I point the finger at someone else there are four more pointed back at me.
    Old 10-14-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Karen Powell
    Good idea do you know a scotch tape whole saler HUM wonder how curtains out of duct tape would look. LOL I love everyones ideas and you are making me really think about this seriously. I am a deeply devoted woman and pray for everyone and every thing else. Perhaps its not a bad Idea to pray for somthing for my self. Is that selfish ?
    You are just as important to God as everyone you pray for so there is every reason to pray for yourself. And 10 years is way too long. From someone that has been there (17 years house unfinished and falling apart), it is time to take the bull by the horn and get this finished!!!!! That is not disrespectful to him - it should humiliate him, at the least humble him. Good luck!! YOU will be in my prayers.
    p.s. Now in new home and I refuse to let anything sit.
    Old 10-14-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Being that the custom sewing is your job/business, then it's also part of that business for you to finish the room that was intended for it. Just.Do.It!

Yes, there is another problem ... it has been used for sometime for other than for your business. And it appears that it's been for more than storage ... you mentioned a flat screen, and his watching TV. Looks like he has changed this into his man-cave.

Take hold ... and start emptying the stuff, and converting it back to your Business Location!
    Exactly what she said! It's your turn now and that flat screen TV has to go!
    Old 10-14-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Scrappy Gram
    Tell him it will be a tax deduction - if you earn income from using your studio in your home, a portion of all home expenses can be deducted as business expenses. Sometimes you can only get a man's attention by mentioning $$$.
    HOWEVER....if part of it is a mancave, NO TAX DEDUCTION, so move on over honey....take that big tv and comfy chair, and hie yourself on out to the livingroom. He wants to visit, he can come in with a nice little snack for her.

And....I would think pink, at least for a little while. Pink seems to drive men off, lol. Put up some nice pink curtains by the tv, pink pillows on the chair, pink, pink, pink.