Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My issue with polyester thread/cotton thread (hot iron) >
  • My issue with polyester thread/cotton thread (hot iron)

• My issue with polyester thread/cotton thread (hot iron)

Old 01-10-2012, 01:45 PM

i use poly from preference, turn your iron down.
    Old 01-10-2012, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
    I had this issue working on a quilt top. The poly thread just seemed to dissappear as I was pressing. It was my iron !! My very expensive Rowenta was going haywire and just kept heating and heating it was beyond super hot! . ( FYI - I had a second Rowenta that died the same way ... ) Now that I discarded the iron(s), I have had no issues.
    That has been my experience too. The iron was going up and melted all the thread--new iron--no problem!
    Old 01-10-2012, 06:17 PM

What about cotton covered poly? That's what I'm using now to hand piece a top.
    Old 01-10-2012, 06:36 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I've only used cotton thread, but just joined a thread of the month club and received 5 polyester spools of pretty thread. I've written them to ask them to change it to cotton, but they haven't responded. I hate to waste $40 worth of thread. I don't garment sew and can't afford not to use them. They say they "saw" your cotton fabric. But then other people say it's fine. I am so confused. But I'm for sure going to call the month of the club co. and change my thread preference tomorrow. Oh, by the way, does anyone know how to bookmark a page? I have no idea how to, but would really like to on some pages with good tips. Thanks, Jeanne
    Old 01-10-2012, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow
    I've only used cotton thread, but just joined a thread of the month club and received 5 polyester spools of pretty thread. I've written them to ask them to change it to cotton, but they haven't responded. I hate to waste $40 worth of thread. I don't garment sew and can't afford not to use them. They say they "saw" your cotton fabric. But then other people say it's fine. I am so confused. But I'm for sure going to call the month of the club co. and change my thread preference tomorrow. Oh, by the way, does anyone know how to bookmark a page? I have no idea how to, but would really like to on some pages with good tips. Thanks, Jeanne
    As I stated earlier in this thread, this issue is addressed on Superior's website. I included a link you might want to check out, also. In a nutshell, it's recommended that you piece with cotton thread, and you may quilt with poly.
    Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 PM

I have never had poly thread melt. My Viking does not like it for FMQ so I use the poly for piecing and the cotton for quilting.
    Old 01-11-2012, 03:48 PM

Had this problem with my rowenta iron too.I was sewing with my serger,and blamed my self for melting the poly serger thread with the iron,but it was the iron heating up going haywire like Lori S . I sent it back to be repaired after the 3 mo wait the same thing happen,sent it back the second time, ironed 1 yard and it did it again. The third time and almost 9 mo later Rowenta sent me a new model iron.So by all means check the iron.
    Old 01-11-2012, 03:54 PM
    Power Poster

I read an account of a lady who had used an older serger thread to piece her top and when she pressed it all the thread melted. She needed to start over. I generally use cotton for my piecing now.
    Old 01-12-2012, 10:37 AM

I also experienced the thread melt problem. Once I realized (and had to re-do a bunch of seams) I made sure to keep my iron at a lower temp. At least I caught it before the whole top was pieced!

Pat