Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My Latest Quilt Discovery >
  • My Latest Quilt Discovery

• My Latest Quilt Discovery

Old 03-14-2010, 01:00 PM

well, sorry, but i wouldn't even try to be nice about it. i have a neighbor lady 80 years old and she has a bad heart but she has treated things i've made for her in the wrong way, like putting a beautiful quilt in the dog's pen, selling something in a garage sale etc etc. so instead of saying anything to her that possibly might result in her having another heart attack and dieing, i've just kept my mouth shut but it'll be a cold day in you know where before i make her anything else. her mind is still great so can't blame it on dementia and she definitely knows what the sun does to everything, drying it out, fading, and downright making the fabric rotten, you don't have to know about quilts to know that. i give to those who appreciate home made things. I made some coasters and pot holders for a Christmas gift to a friend, she just went ape over them. so now i'm making her a quilt, and she might just hyperventilate when i give that to her. i'll attach a pic of it.

Fancy Cats
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]9546[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-9546.jpe  
    Old 03-14-2010, 01:08 PM

If she really is a good friend she will know that you aren't being mean just concerned. But I would still tell her.
    Old 03-14-2010, 03:36 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by littlehud
    Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
    Originally Posted by Lneal
    This friend is 57 yrs, wouldn't she know these kind of things? And how do you say it?

Where do you find this product yourstrulyquilts? That may be a solution for many others too.
    The product is called Quiltgard and you can probably find it at your LQS.
    Being 57 doesn't mean knowing about fabric and fading. Just say something like~"I know you love the quilt b/c it's hung up for everyone to see. But it needs to be protected from the sun. I've got some quiltgard to spray it with". And then go spray it.
    YTQ
    I love the way you put this. And 57 doen't mean you know everything. Believe me I would know this.
    :lol:
    Somtimes we get overly excited over a gift and can have a momentary lapse of good judgement :wink: I like this solution, leave the can with her for further applications :D:D:D You can always say that you forgot to enclose the can with the gift :D:D:D
    Old 03-14-2010, 03:42 PM
    Power Poster

I would tell her if she leaves in in the sun she won't have it to show off very long and you can't be making another one.
    Old 03-14-2010, 04:10 PM

I was told very rudely once that I could keep my rags from now on, when I asked a friend where she had put an item I'd made her. I think she thought I wanted it back. I now give from my heart. Since then, I don't ask what or where an item is that I give away.
    Old 03-14-2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sheila Elaine
    I was told very rudely once that I could keep my rags from now on, when I asked a friend where she had put an item I'd made her. I think she thought I wanted it back. I now give from my heart. Since then, I don't ask what or where an item is that I give away.
    WOW :shock: :shock: that was uncalled for, even if you did want it back :thumbdown:
    Old 03-14-2010, 05:39 PM

STAR, no, I like seeing where people display handmade items, not just ones I've made, but ones someone else might have given them, or ones they bought. I'd never give something with the intention of asking for it back.
    Old 03-15-2010, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sheila Elaine
    STAR, no, I like seeing where people display handmade items, not just ones I've made, but ones someone else might have given them, or ones they bought. I'd never give something with the intention of asking for it back.
    Oh ,yes I didn't think that you wanted it back :oops: I was just saying that she was VERY rude in her response. And that even if you were to ask for it back, which you weren't going to, that her statement was just mean
    Old 03-15-2010, 06:26 AM
    Administrator

i wouldn't be at all upset if somebody put one of my quilts in her front window for the whole world to see. i'd be flattered.

so what if it fades? so what if it eventually falls apart? so what if it doesn't end up as a multi-generational heirloom or museum piece?

who cares?

no matter how hard i worked on it, or how much money i spent on it, it's still just a thing.

if we worried as much about people and other living creatures as we do things, the world would be a much better place.

it's loved. that would be more than enough to feed my ego, and all that matters in the grand scheme of things.
    Old 03-15-2010, 08:55 AM
    Power Poster

I'm lucky, people I give quilts to enjoy them and that is what I care about.