Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My local monthly quilting bee just broke up!!! >
  • My local monthly quilting bee just broke up!!!

• My local monthly quilting bee just broke up!!!

Old 10-29-2009, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
    The attendance was down the last few months and they sent out an e-mail asking if everyone was still interested and I guess they weren't!! Now I have no where to go to quilt with friends!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
    What about starting by inviting a small group of two or three to join you in your home for an afternoon (or whatever is convenient for you and your family)? If you keep it going perhaps something will turn up.
    Old 10-29-2009, 10:52 AM

You could always start your own quilting/sewing club to meet at your house. Invite your friends and see where it goes from there.
    Old 10-29-2009, 10:54 AM

I know what you mean. Last year my small group dissolved. Then one of the ladies from my guild put an article in our newsletter for a group very close to us. This year I went to the first meeting and was the only one there. Hopefully next month will be better. I don't want this one to die out because the ladies are all nice, and it is so close.
    Old 10-29-2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Hall
    If you do start a new group please post hints of how you advertised, etc. I tried to start a new "crafting" night a few years ago in my school library (after hours, of course). I advertised at the 2 LQS, sent letters to the local guilds, etc. No takers. I have plenty of tables in the library and really thought I would attract some scrapbookers who could spread out, but no luck. I even offered dinner and a movie!
    I also have an unused balcony area that I was willing to let a quilting frame stay up and still no luck.
    Rose Hall
    WOW!! What's wrong with those people? What an opportunity!!
    Old 10-29-2009, 12:31 PM

Oh that is heartbreaking!

Can you find out who actually said they would like to continue? Maybe those few of you could start your own 'Friendship group'. I belonged to a Friendship Group where there were only 6 of us and we had a blast each month .... then 2 of us moved out of the area, I heard that for different reason, the group isn't meeting anymore. I loved that Friendship group!

Is there a Quilt Guild in your area? Many quilt guilds have smaller groups who get together on a weekly or monthly basis.

Ask around at your local quilt shop to see if they know of a group OR ask if you can post a 'bulletin' to see if there is interest in getting a group started.

good luck!

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
    Old 10-29-2009, 12:48 PM

I am sorry your group split. I was a member of a guild at one time and they split as well.....so I decided to start my own. I wasn't comfortable with all their mandatory meetings and such anyway, I only wanted to learn to quilt...to quilt for sick children and/or those that are less blessed.

I started advertising last September and now have 5 women that bless this ministry tremendously. I advertised everywhere I could....free cycle chat cafes....local newspapers in the 'community' section (it's free).....craigslist.......any paper that would not charge. Word of mouth. I had business cards made up and pass them out every chance I get.

We meet at our local public library twice a month and we have a blast! I had hoped there would be more women helping us by now, but in time. We have made quilts for local shelters and NICU babies. We are making 125 quilts for the Department of Social Services who lodge neglected, abused and/or abandoned children. It is a big challenge to make this many quilts with so few helpers, but we will get it done. I have women from out of state that send me quilts for the children also. I am blessed.

I hope that what little bit of info I shared with you helps. We are in South Carolina......you are welcome to help us!

Charity Quilter Dar
    Old 10-29-2009, 01:01 PM

So sorry your group broke up. Hang in there and find some people to get another one going. There isn't one where I live, so I am trying to get one going thru' my church, (in another town). Not church sponsored....but our kitchen is big enough to set up tables for at least 6 people. AND a stove and fridge for food!!!!! :D
    Old 10-29-2009, 01:35 PM

You can come to Hamburg NY and we would welcome you to our quilt group, Deck Hands, as our membership is also declining.
    Old 10-29-2009, 03:29 PM

OH SO SORRY I WISH YOU LIVED CLOSER WE HAVE A GROUP THAT MEETS AT MY HOUSE EVERY MONDAY. IT IS LIKE A SUPPORT GROUP AND QUILTING GROUP ALL IN ONE. MAYBE YOU CAN START OUT WITH JUST A COUPLE AND THE REST WILL FOLLOW GOOD LUCK
    Old 10-29-2009, 05:25 PM

Oh No!!!!!!!! Can you start another group? All you need is two to start with.