• Main
  • My machine died! >
  • My machine died!

• My machine died!

Old 10-21-2011, 02:05 AM

Good luck!!!
    Old 10-21-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    you need some dental floss..waxed ribbon really...and some pipe cleaners..NOT chenille stems..but actual Pipe cleaners, they are thinner..and really run it between the tension discs..that thread could be anywhere...and it could be really tiny....take out/apart the bobbin race area as well and use the pipe cleaner or a small "stencil" paint brush to really sweep it out in there....

do I thread the floss through just as if I were threading the machine? I can't see the tension discs so will be going blind here. If there is a piece of thread in the discs, will it stick to the floss?
    Old 10-21-2011, 06:40 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    do I thread the floss through just as if I were threading the machine? I can't see the tension discs so will be going blind here. If there is a piece of thread in the discs, will it stick to the floss?
    You leave the pressure foot up, as this releases the tension discs so they are not tight together. Then you "floss" between the discs just as if you were flossing teeth. Thread won't necessarily stick to the floss; what you are doing with the floss is trying to loosen any bits of stuck thread so they come out.
    Old 10-21-2011, 07:06 AM

I've taken apart everything I can see and cleaned well. The top thread pulls thru fine, no problems there. I think the issue is in the bobbin area. I've taken the bobbin casing out and cleaned well....but still no movement. I just don't know what else to do, other than taking it to the repair shop. Am just so disappointed that I won't be able to finish my sister's quilt today....was supposed to give to her tomorrow :cry: :roll: :-(
    Old 10-21-2011, 08:29 AM
    Power Poster

Is it a drop-in bobbin or the other?

If the other, there's more you can do than just take out the bobbin case and clean. There should be a knob you can move to remove the entire bobbin race. I do that on my machine, clean everything, then run a light glaze of sewing machine oil over the bobbin race with my finger before replacing all the pieces. The only thing is that it can take awhile to figure out how to put everything back if you are not used to this procedure (but you *can* figure it out!).

Also, I usually take off the needle plate and clean that area from above.

If there is something caught in the bobbin area, doing these things can help you locate and remove the thread or whatever is jamming up the system.
    Old 10-21-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    I've taken apart everything I can see and cleaned well. The top thread pulls thru fine, no problems there. I think the issue is in the bobbin area. I've taken the bobbin casing out and cleaned well....but still no movement. I just don't know what else to do, other than taking it to the repair shop. Am just so disappointed that I won't be able to finish my sister's quilt today....was supposed to give to her tomorrow :cry: :roll: :-(
    Unplug your machine. Lay it gently on it's back. Unscrew the bottom and remove it. You will probably see a rather large dust bunny and thread nest. Gently sweep it out. Oil if nessesary moving parts. Put bottom back on, screw the screws back in, plug it in and you should be in business!
    Good luck.
    Old 10-21-2011, 12:29 PM

Had the same problem not long ago on my machine; had to take it in to the shop. It was a tiny piece of thread that had gotten caught in the take up lever.
    Old 10-21-2011, 07:16 PM

Boy now I'm thankful I only have the old foot powered machines which only makes one stitch - straight. Hope you get it figured out soon.
    Old 10-21-2011, 07:18 PM

oops