Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My Personal Quilt Police Person >
  • My Personal Quilt Police Person

• My Personal Quilt Police Person

Old 05-24-2016, 12:16 PM
    MCH

When I was in jr. high school (in the previous century), all the girls had to take home ec. (one semester of cooking and one of sewing each year). I wanted to exchange the cooking for wood shop, but in that era, not a chance! Was it an accident that I burned up my apron (accidentally?) in the cooking class? I had made it in the sewing class. We'll never know.

The sewing teacher (and I still remember her name!) had a little ditty that she made sure all of us knew and memorized.

"Good, better, best. Never let it rest, until our good is better, and our better, best."

Guess what tape runs in my head as I'm "unsewing" a seam...which I was doing last week on a very simple project.
    Old 05-24-2016, 12:23 PM

I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to quilting, unless it's something that will be judged. However, if I make a mistake that is obvious and it bothers me, I will fix it. I've found that I am usually the only person who notices my mistakes in a quilt.
    Old 05-24-2016, 12:39 PM

Yes bearisgray, I am like that as well. My hubby teases me he thinks I enjoy using my seam ripper as much if not more than quilting. I wouldn't go that far, but I do have more than 1 seam ripper. Lol
    I just try to always make something I'd be happy to keep and that I'm happy to say, "Yes I made that.". Sometimes the seam ripper and or remaking something is part of my process.
    However, I do not police other's work.
    Regards,
    Kif

Last edited by kiffie2413; 05-24-2016 at 12:42 PM.
    Old 05-24-2016, 01:38 PM

If I notice a mistake and can fix it I will but once pieced I haven't had to take any apart. If I had to take many blocks apart I would put it in the throw away or give away box. I prefer to start new...
    I have taken a binding off because it was not the color I wanted...redid the binding and was very happy with it.
    Old 05-24-2016, 01:53 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by gramajo
    I am a "finished is better than perfect" person.
    This is how I think too. I'll fix a huge glaring mistake if I feel it really blows the design, but other than that I leave little ones. If I don't point them out, no one has ever noticed.

Cari
    Old 05-24-2016, 02:04 PM

Count me in this club...

Happy quilting,
    Susan
    Old 05-24-2016, 02:22 PM

I'll usually leave it if I am certain that when it's all done, even I would have a hard time finding it. What I will take out and do over, though, is something that I know will give me a problem "down the line" I hate having to fight to get everything lined up and put together.
    Old 05-24-2016, 03:05 PM

I have to say that I am more like Bearisgrey. Especially if it is a gift. But I try not to criticize others' work--except at the last retreat where a lady at the next table held up a block she had just completed and three of us said (in unison!!) the top points are going the wrong way!! She looked a little shocked, turned it around to see and then thanked us profusely because she was about to join it to her top.

I also have another rule: If I have tried to fix it three times and it still is not quite right, well it is as right as I am going to make it!
    Old 05-24-2016, 03:07 PM
    Power Poster

That's a good way to put it. I am kind of the same way. If I notice, I must fix it, unless it is for one of the cats.
    Old 05-24-2016, 03:34 PM

I just finished a Judy Martin log cabin quilt with many, many pieces. It is a wedding gift for my DGD. I was very careful placing the "logs" and as I was pressing it for the quilter, I noticed one border log was upside down. It was lucky that it was part of the border, and an easy fix, but I would never have left it. It was like there was a mini-spot light shining on it. lol We are our own worse critics.
    Sue