Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade >
  • My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade

• My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade

Old 05-19-2010, 06:58 AM

Make a lap quilt for her in soft soothing fabrics. Tell her it is for her comfort and enjoyment on those nights the baby just can't settle down. Let her know you care about her as much as you do your son and grandchild. She probably reacted the way she did because she needs to be nurtured.
    Old 05-19-2010, 07:01 AM
    Banned

Don't make the quilt. You already know she won't use it and that might be more hurtful to you than not accepting the offer in the first place. It is her baby's room and her decision on decorating. I have had situations like this and my mental health was better when I "just let it go" and then did a quilt for someone who would appreciate it or for chairity.

I agree - it is her loss
    Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    It's her loss. I agree that if that's what she wants, let her have it. She has no idea what she's missing out on. {{{{{hugs}}}}} for hurt feelings :(

Yeah, sometimes people are crazy about stuff like that. You'd think she would know that she needs more than one quilt/blankie for the baby and it's not always going to be used in the same room.

Had a friend whose did the pottery barn thing for a boy with the sailboats and stuff. I just asked her what the decor was and she told me and I made a little sailboat quilt out of the same colors. She loved it but I wouldn't make one for your SIL as I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate it.
    Old 05-19-2010, 07:02 AM

sharon..dont take it to heart..she is probably young and thats how it is today..also many people..mostly women ..dont understand and have the passion for quilting/quilts like we do..they dont understand the time and love not to mention money that is put into a quilt..i worked at a lqs and heard many stories about how quilts were washed with regular clothes..covered things in the basement or garage and even found in the cage with the dog...just wait a while and then make a bright colorful one and i bet she will love it and use it too..
    Old 05-19-2010, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon - NC
    Go figure! I was so excited to learn my brother and his wife are expecting. I talked to her Sunday and asked her to let me know as soon as they pick their decorating scheme for the nursery. I went on to explain that I wanted to make a quilt for the baby but I want to make sure it's something they like, so I'd show her a few patterns to choose from and have her go with me to pick the fabric. She told me they were probably going to decorate the room with Pottery Barn furniture and accessories, and there's already a quilt to match so they'd just use that. I tried very hard to stay up-beat and not let her see how shocked/hurt I was, and I'm not going to let it ruin my fun and joy with this baby coming. But I really feel sorry for her that she's that concerned about coordinating things. Just wait until that baby is a few months old and everything's crazy!
    PLEASE don't take any hurt out on her or on you. She has her own needs. At least she didn't say 'yes' and then put a quilt you made for the baby away, never to be used and loved. We all have different needs, at different times, and be open to hers. I was very unyielding in my youth, wish I hadn't been, but have learned in my older years to be more flexible and giving. Send her your best love, and the baby your best love too. The love is more important than anything, even a specially made, loving quilt. (AND I LOVE MAKING QUILTS AND having those who can appreciate them, love them.)
    Old 05-19-2010, 07:50 AM

I am still waiting for 3 thank yous for 2 wedding quilts and 1 baby quilt. if i didn't have tracking on them, i would of never known they got it. it has been over 3 years,for one, and they all live out of state..family..humpth!
    ------------------------------------------------------
    I have a lovely family, but some of the second and third generation merely
    says thanks, sometimes no thanks at all of the gift ! So I dug out a HAND made thank you card the 6 year old daughter of a friend sent me for an old purse full of very old but broken jewelry from when we had 5 and 10 cent stores. Made back when glitter and shine was fashionable, worthless now, but would cost a lot to replace.

This child was so fascinated with it she carried it around with her and even
    slept with it. And took the trouble, all on her own, to mimic her own grandmother's habit of writing hand made thank you notes.

I showed that one casually to my ungrateful kin, and remarked that it had been
    10 or more years since I got it, but I treasured it because this child REALLY
    DID APPRECIATE SOMEONE GIVING HER GIFTS!!

After no presents for nearly a year, they got the message, and now I get
    sweet, hand drawn cards from even the smallest in that family.
    Old 05-19-2010, 07:53 AM

Don't take offense....first time parents...1. don't know the amount of bedding that is needed for just one small baby....2. usually want everything to match (that changes as soon as there's no time to worry about those trivial matters) 3. have no idea of the amount of work that goes into making a quilt.

I would make a floor quilt for the baby. Make it in the colors for the nursery but tell the parents that it is to be used when the baby is set on the sofa,floor or on the grass. I guarantee that once your SIL sees that "homemade" quilt, she will begin to appreciate your work.....and your quilt will be the hardest working piece of bedding in the whole nursery.
    Old 05-19-2010, 07:54 AM

I showed that one casually to my ungrateful kin, and remarked that it had been
    10 or more years since I got it, but I treasured it because this child REALLY
    DID APPRECIATE SOMEONE GIVING HER GIFTS!!

After no presents for nearly a year, they got the message, and now I get
    sweet, hand drawn cards from even the smallest in that family.

Good Idea!! I'm in the same boat! But, if it's a day late, they sure know my phone number then!! 8-)
    Old 05-19-2010, 07:55 AM

The quilt is for the baby, not for her. I'd go ahead and make it anyway. A baby cannot have too many blankets. Mine were always spitting up on everything. If it's her first baby, she may not know what she's in for.