Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My UFO collection is out of control! >
  • My UFO collection is out of control!

• My UFO collection is out of control!

Old 11-18-2009, 05:02 PM

I'm listing my house for sale tomorrow and one of the home-selling-suggestions I've read is to reduce the amount of clutter in your house, with the reason being you want people to imagine themselves and their stuff there, instead of thinking "omg, look at all the sh... stuff this person has". And what I'm doing now is going through the house and figuring out what stuff I can live without for 1-2 months while the new house is being remodeled.

So anyway, yesterday's project was packing up the quilting closet. I have a closet with shelves, that is filled (literally, floor to ceiling) with fabric/quilt tops/notions/etc. I filled 2 2ftx2ftx2ft boxes... filled! And I didn't even get to the bookshelf of fat quarters.

And it got me thinking... it's a little ridiculous. I love buying fabrics and having a stash and all that, but to fill up those huge boxes with stuff I know I won't touch in the next 2 months, that seems crazy! I spent good $ on this stuff, to ... sit in my closet for all of eternity? Lots of fabric, lots of UFOs (I've started on them but not finished a quilt top), lots of finished quilt tops, so much that is "in progress"

So I'm thinking the theme for 2010 will be FINISH IT! :lol:
    Old 11-18-2009, 05:05 PM

Good on ya!!!!! You go girl!!!! Keep posting pix as you finish each one. ;)
    Old 11-18-2009, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pzazz
    Good on ya!!!!! You go girl!!!! Keep posting pix as you finish each one. ;)
    It's for 2010! It's 2009, I don't have to start working on stuff NOW... silly :lol: :lol: I pulled out all the small UFOs - placemats, table runners, and am going to work on them now. Since I have to keep the house clean and can't have a halfway done quilt sitting on the floor anymore, so I figure the smaller projects will be better
    Old 11-18-2009, 05:20 PM

Great goal. I've made the same goal for the past couple of years. Still haven't accomplished it. Please do better than me - show us all your UFOs that are completely finished and inspire us to finish ours.
    Old 11-18-2009, 05:25 PM
    Power Poster

Keep us posted on your progress :thumbup:
    Old 11-18-2009, 06:38 PM
    Power Poster

I keep making that new years resolution too. I have plenty of UFO's to keep my busy. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
    Old 11-18-2009, 07:36 PM

My 'resolution' for 2010 is to make my sewing room just that - my sewing room - where I can go in and close the door and sew... UFO's all in one place so I can finish them one at a time. I will NOT resolve to not start another before all others are done - that's just not practical - what if something comes along that I HAVE to try ;) But, seriously, I will make it my goal to finish all UFO's
    Old 11-18-2009, 08:52 PM
    Power Poster

Good for you!!! 8) 8) 8) I like that you are starting out with the smaller projects!!! :wink: Maybe make a list and start ticking them off...that way you can visually see your progress :D :D :D
    Old 11-18-2009, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by amma
    Good for you!!! 8) 8) 8) I like that you are starting out with the smaller projects!!! :wink: Maybe make a list and start ticking them off...that way you can visually see your progress :D :D :D
    I tried the list a few years ago. I made 2 columns: quilt tops to finish, and finished tops that needed quilting. That list stressed me out since I felt like I had so much to do... couldn't even look at the thing!
    Old 11-18-2009, 09:01 PM
    Banned

I do the same thing..I am trying it is just that some of them are sew time consuming? I would rather start something new...I am making it my resolution not to let the quilts stack up before I actually quilt them.....and I have a few embroidery projects that need to be sewed.....those take time..and I rescued a cutter peice from a yard sale..that is kind of ugly....but I couldn't let it be thrown away...( because I am a quilter and i know someone hand sewed that and and and ..whatever other reason I had at the time.).so I need to figure out what I am going to do with it?? :D