Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • my youngest granddaughter- always avoiding problems :) >
  • my youngest granddaughter- always avoiding problems :)

• my youngest granddaughter- always avoiding problems :)

Old 08-29-2011, 04:24 AM

I was blond growing up. It started getting darker in my 40's, and it wasn't what I was use to seeing in the mirror. I had my hair frosted for awhile, and now I don't have that done at the shop. Why? Because now the frosting is natural.
    Old 08-29-2011, 04:33 AM

My youngest older brother (all five of my siblings are older than me ;-) ) grayed early like my mother. She had the most beautiful salt and pepper, then silver hair starting in her thirties. I have a few gray patches and strands in my medium brown hair at fifty and have colored it occasionally but I really dislike coloring it. When I had good money coming in and got it high-lighted at the salon it was okay but doing it at home on a budget I really dislike (can't stand the worry about making a mess and HATE waiting around for time to rinse)

In truth I often begrudge the time personal hygiene takes away from things I enjoy doing. Have completely abandoned hair styling altogether. No blow dryer or curling or straightening for me. It air dries however it will and I live with it.
    Old 08-29-2011, 04:33 AM

I started graying my freshman year in HS at 14. The guy that sat behind me in Algebra would pull out my white hairs one at a time. I told him to knock it off as my mother had told me for every one that I pulled out two white ones would grow back. By the age of 19 when I was married it was noticeable in my photos.
    It never bothered me until I was in my mid 30's and within a few days of one another I got two comments as a result of my white hair. The first was when I was taking my two youngest children back to school shopping and one of the sales people commented about how nice it was of "Grandma" to take her "Grandchildren" shopping. The other was a waitress asking if I would like the senior discount at a restaurant. After that I colored my hair red for years with the help of my daughter. After she moved away from home it got to be too much work for me to keep up and I just let it go. Now my age matches my hair so it doesn't bother me. Ann in TN
    Old 08-29-2011, 04:44 AM

I am 59 and have just a few gray hairs and would have been thrilled to have premature silver hair, as I believe it is beautiful. I was having this conversation with my daughter who is 35 and the owner of more gray than I. She informs me, when my hair turns gray now~it is no longer premature! And maybe I should consider some hair processing!
    Old 08-29-2011, 04:46 AM
    Power Poster

Your granddaughter's comment made me laugh!

I've always thought that pure white hair is so eye-catching and beautiful!

I don't think I will ever get that - I was a dishwater blonde while in high school

It darkened over the years - and I hadn't really realized it until someone referred to me as "a dark-haired lady" Who, me?

Now it's gray (or silver????) around my face.

I'd rather spend money on other things than hair coloring.

Besides, I don't know what color would look better than what I'm growing.

I'm not very fond of the colored hair with half an inch of "natural" color showing look.
    Old 08-29-2011, 04:57 AM

I love my gray hair. wouldn't do any good to dye my hair to look younger...the wrinkles would give me away.
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    I too have early gray hair. It will be white soon but for now it is a soft silver gray with white overtones. Since I've been that way for about 30 years my mom can't stand it. She is 82 and has always dyed her hair. My MIL is 88 and she is just now turning gray. (http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-147878-1.htm) My 4 sisters are all dying their hair so I'm the lone gray person in the family.:)
    Oh how I envy you. Have always wanted white or silver hair. At 83, I have the gray but still more brown than gray. No, I don't color it. Too much trouble.
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:10 AM

I had a few grey hairs when I got married, I was 6wks. Shy of 21. They were in a small area and didn't show unless I parted my hair there. Then in 1997, I had a friend who was a stylist, color my hair reddish brown. By then there were grey strands though out and those few were now about a dime sized spot. When I turned 50,my DM said I probably didn't need to dye my hair b/c women in their 50's had grey hair and wore it natural. I told her that if I didn't have any more than she did, I wouldn't bother. She's now 77 and I have more in a tiny spot than she has on her whole head. I take after my dad, his hair was snow white when he passed away. My hair stylist told me 5 years ago that my complexion was too pale for grey hair and that I was 50%grey on top. And then I'd have to live with the skunk look while the dye grew out. I would look at least 10years older than I am-I DON'T THINK SO!!!
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:11 AM

I have been coloring my hair since I have beeb 15-started beauty scool then, I will be 69 in Sept and do not know what color my "NATURAL" shade is but I am a Blonde and have been one for over 50 yrs.
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:12 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    I too have early gray hair. It will be white soon but for now it is a soft silver gray with white overtones. Since I've been that way for about 30 years my mom can't stand it. She is 82 and has always dyed her hair. My MIL is 88 and she is just now turning gray. (http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-147878-1.htm) My 4 sisters are all dying their hair so I'm the lone gray person in the family.:)
    Another reason you are a SPECIAL person :lol: :lol: