Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Mystery Quilts >
  • Mystery Quilts

• Mystery Quilts

Old 10-22-2010, 09:00 PM

I am just finish up my second one. Loved the first from the get go (because of the colors). It is mine!!! The one I am finishing is for my DD and DSL. Wasn't sure about all the colors, but now that is is almost finished it is really looking good. Everyone that has seen it just loves the colors. I really do like the pattern - it has 3 distinct patterns - you could make 3 different sided quilts out it. The colors where partially chosen by me, with a lot of help from the quilt shop. She really knows her color combinations and very willing to work with you. I think that may be part of the success of a mystery quilt.
    Old 10-23-2010, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by bjdemir
    I am just finish up my second one. Loved the first from the get go (because of the colors). It is mine!!! The one I am finishing is for my DD and DSL. Wasn't sure about all the colors, but now that is is almost finished it is really looking good. Everyone that has seen it just loves the colors. I really do like the pattern - it has 3 distinct patterns - you could make 3 different sided quilts out it. The colors where partially chosen by me, with a lot of help from the quilt shop. She really knows her color combinations and very willing to work with you. I think that may be part of the success of a mystery quilt.
    Do you have a photo?
    Old 10-23-2010, 05:16 AM

We did one as a quilt club project, it was fun to see all the
    different results due to the different fabrics used.
    Old 10-23-2010, 07:41 AM

I like to do mystery quilts also pick from same fabric collection most of the time but once in a while it is good to use from your stash. Bonnie Hunter's mysteries are great and Billie Lauder's are so much fun. great to do with guild or friends. stretches you horizon don't like it give it to charity and you still learned something.
    Old 10-23-2010, 07:47 AM

I've done a few mystery quilts & have had fun doing them all :D I just figure that if it ends up being something I dont like, I can always use it as a philanthropy quilt for my guild.
    This top that I sent to Jan in VA for the barracks project was a mystery http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-63082-5.htm
    Old 10-23-2010, 11:13 AM

I didn't see "Connect the Dots" at the given website.
    Old 10-23-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Drew
    I didn't see "Connect the Dots" at the given website.
    http://www.patchworktimes.com/category/quilting/ scroll down to Oct 19th
    Old 10-23-2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    Who has done a mystery quilt? Were you happy with the results? I am interested in the concept, but would hate to spend a lot of time/money on a quilt that wasn't really "my thing" in the end, you know?
    I've read all five pages on this subject and one of the problems that is repeated often is the inability to choose fabrics when the quilt pattern is unknown. I've taught several Mystery Classes and discovered the students who were happy with their quilt (no matter the pattern) made holiday quilts (Christmas or Easter or Patriotic fabrics) or seasonal quilts (Autumn or Spring fabrics). Perhaps this may work for others. Belles
    Old 10-24-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by np3
    I need to know what it looks like first. I need to love what I am doing or I can't stay focused.
    See, I'm like that too, so I'm afraid I'd have a hard time keeping going if I don't know if I love the final product or not.

Of course, I also like surprises, which is what makes the idea of mystery quilts intriguing.

I was thinking my MIL and I might do a couple together for charity quilts, since we get together and sew once a week or so.
    I think it's marvelous that you and your MIL sew together regularly, regardless of what you make.
    Old 10-24-2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by 2livesdown7togo
    Originally Posted by np3
    I need to know what it looks like first. I need to love what I am doing or I can't stay focused.
    See, I'm like that too, so I'm afraid I'd have a hard time keeping going if I don't know if I love the final product or not.

Of course, I also like surprises, which is what makes the idea of mystery quilts intriguing.

I was thinking my MIL and I might do a couple together for charity quilts, since we get together and sew once a week or so.
    I think it's marvelous that you and your MIL sew together regularly, regardless of what you make.
    My late MIL and I got together weekly too. We both belonged to the same club. We got together an additional day out of the week to craft, drive around whatever. Time, just the 2 of us. Course, during the summer I had all my kids too, so just the 5 of us. I was so happy to have that time. When my dear MIL passed away suddenly, I became eternally grateful for the time we spent together. It was high in quality and quantity.