Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Nearly poked my eye out >
  • Nearly poked my eye out

• Nearly poked my eye out

Old 11-20-2010, 01:19 PM

please be careful between rotary cutters needles and pens and those sharp seam rippers we ladies should get hazard pay LOL
    Old 11-20-2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by sylviak
    Have you tried the clip-on magnifying glasses? You can get them at JoAnns for 12.95. That way your eye stays covered. They raise up when you're not using them. I'm also very nearsighted and my bi-focals don't always do the job!
    Ohhhh been there and done that... got the stitches to show for it too... got myself right in the eyebrow. So, at least the scar don't show......I blame it on having a NEW seam ripper.... wasn't used to it gliding that fast thru the thread!!

I recommend the ones with " head lights" on the sides. So much better to see with.

I used to have ( in the market again for ) a lighted magnifer on a gooseneck or extension neck... and stand on it's own... so I can move it around when I need too. .. when I was legally blind I used that right up to the the sewing machine to beable to sew.. and tnhen my 80 y/o MIL would come over and thread the needlle for me..... Plus since the glass is between u and the seam ripper it gives u some protection.
    Old 11-20-2010, 01:27 PM
    Power Poster

I usually replace my seam ripper once a year. It is very cheap and makes life easier when it is sharp.
    Old 11-20-2010, 03:40 PM
    Google Goddess

be careful, glad you are okay

Originally Posted by cathyvv
    Two nights ago I was working very hard at taking some seams out - I do a lot of that, unfortunately.

I'm very nearsighted, have an astigmatism and double vision. I have to get in real close to find the threads to be cut, so I look over my glasses. The glasses are perched on the end of my nose and my eyes are 'exposed' to the world.

I was having trouble cutting through one of the stitches, so applied more than usual pressure to the seam ripper. Of course, the thread broke with the extra pressure, but then the seam ripper traveled up to just below my eyebrow before I was able to stop myself. It grazed my skin but, luckily, it didn't cut me.

Haven't told my husband about it. He thinks quilting is safe! He will never know...
    Old 11-20-2010, 06:32 PM

Get yourself a magnifying glass that can hang around your neck. Sure helps me when doing anything close up.
    Old 11-20-2010, 06:38 PM

Could you work with a magnifying glass? That way you might not have to have your face so close. Glad you didn't get hurt!
    Old 11-20-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by sylviak
    Have you tried the clip-on magnifying glasses? You can get them at JoAnns for 12.95. That way your eye stays covered. They raise up when you're not using them. I'm also very nearsighted and my bi-focals don't always do the job!
    You can get clip-on magnifier's from Harbor Freight for under $5. It is crazy to find the same product douples or triples in price because you put the word sewing or quilting on it. While you're there, check out the telescoping magnetic tool pick-up thing (for pins, scissors, etc. So cool), magnetic parts dishes (for pins), cutting blades for rotory cutter. I love a good buy.
    Old 11-20-2010, 07:00 PM

Oh my, glad you are alright. Near misses to the eyes just aren't good. I one myself this summer, but was outside with the weed whacker. Needless to say, I wear safety glasses now!
    Old 11-20-2010, 07:04 PM

Whew close call, glad no damage!!! I end up looking under my glasses if I need to see up close, then sometimes loose'em if take completely off,and luckily visions not too bad. Careful or he'll have you wearing safety glasses.
    Take Care and hang in there!! :)
    Old 11-20-2010, 07:13 PM

So glad you're okay.

There's also a clip on magnifier that flips up when not in use. Feels a bit like a welder's mask but it's worth it. It's for crafters so should be widely available.