Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Nearly poked my eye out >
  • Nearly poked my eye out

• Nearly poked my eye out

Old 11-21-2010, 09:34 PM
    Banned

It's a bit expensive, but you can get an Ottlite that is freestanding that not only has a powerful light but also a large magnifying lens that flips down from the light to use as you need it. I got mine at Joann when all the Ottlites were on sale for 50% off. I'm not sure but I don't think you can use Joann coupons for them. I think it cost about $40, but well worth it to me. Keeps your hands free to work and is really a very powerful magnifier. Great for threading needles.

Dana
    Old 11-21-2010, 11:02 PM

It seems to me that the I'S(Eyes) have it. hahahahah
    I am laughing as I write this too.
    Old 11-21-2010, 11:03 PM
    Power Poster

That is scarey. Get a mustache trimmer and put the attachment on that is for cutting the hairs in the ears/nostrils. Use that to take the stiches out.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/WAHL-2-in-...6-200/14324475

You need the pokey attachment like is shown on the top right.
    Old 11-22-2010, 06:50 AM

I have a similar problem with the bifocals not working for really close work - I tend to take my glasses off - Thanks for the heads up - I never thought of that happening.
    Old 11-22-2010, 09:28 AM

[
    That is why I don't use one. I always use my snippers or small embroidery scissors to cut the threads while I splay the seam to be ripped.[/quote]

I don't use a seam ripper either. I use the small scissors and a pair of sharp tweezers. When I use the long arm I cut the first stitch, pull it to bring the bottom thread up and cut it. Then I just use the tweezers to take out each stitch and occasionally pull and bring up the bottom thread. That way you don't have thread on the bottom of the quilt to find and cut later. I've adopted the same method when using the DSM. Works great.
    Old 11-22-2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by auntmag
    Push the point away from your face.
    Ditto. This is right up there with "always lock your rotary cutter". Takes effort to make it a habit, but well worth it.
    Old 11-22-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Barbara W
    Originally Posted by cathyvv
    Two nights ago I was working very hard at taking some seams out - I do a lot of that, unfortunately.

I'm very nearsighted, have an astigmatism and double vision. I have to get in real close to find the threads to be cut, so I look over my glasses. The glasses are perched on the end of my nose and my eyes are 'exposed' to the world.

I was having trouble cutting through one of the stitches, so applied more than usual pressure to the seam ripper. Of course, the thread broke with the extra pressure, but then the seam ripper traveled up to just below my eyebrow before I was able to stop myself. It grazed my skin but, luckily, it didn't cut me.

Haven't told my husband about it. He thinks quilting is safe! He will never know...
    That is why I don't use one. I always use my snippers or small embroidery scissors to cut the threads while I splay the seam to be ripped.
    Don't splay the seam. Pulling the fabrics apart will distort them. Just cut a stitch every 5 to 7 stitches on one side only. The uncut thread on the other side will pull right out.
    Old 11-22-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
    Two nights ago I was working very hard at taking some seams out - I do a lot of that, unfortunately.

I'm very nearsighted, have an astigmatism and double vision. I have to get in real close to find the threads to be cut, so I look over my glasses. The glasses are perched on the end of my nose and my eyes are 'exposed' to the world.

I was having trouble cutting through one of the stitches, so applied more than usual pressure to the seam ripper. Of course, the thread broke with the extra pressure, but then the seam ripper traveled up to just below my eyebrow before I was able to stop myself. It grazed my skin but, luckily, it didn't cut me.

Haven't told my husband about it. He thinks quilting is safe! He will never know...
    Opt floor lights are great for seeing things better, they also have ones that you can attach a magnifying glass on an arm to the stand so it is free standing. My mother had macular degeneration which in conbination to her alzheimers created problems with her doing hand work - these lights were a god send. THere are other brands that work just as well

You might try sewing your seams with a larger stitch (basting) - to make sure it is ok, then resew it. You will use more thread, but tearouts would be much easier & safer.

Please be safe
    Old 11-22-2010, 10:24 AM

Sounds like something I would do. Glad you are okay!
    Old 11-22-2010, 01:21 PM

I would have never thought that ripping seams could be so deadly. Thanks for the caution. If you have to remove your glasses a lot when sewing, maybe a clear pair of safety glasses would be a good investment. Better than losing an eye.