Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • neck  tie quilts >
  • neck tie quilts

• neck tie quilts

Old 08-03-2010, 06:56 PM
    Power Poster

It's usually recommended to use fusible nylon tricot on tie fabric to give it body and to keep it from moving around too much. It's also a good idea to hand wash the ties before fusing. It's pretty easy to take a tie apart by cutting the single thread holding it together and pulling, then removing the interfacing.
    Old 08-03-2010, 07:11 PM
    Banned

There is also a great pattern based on a quilt made of ties in the Shelburn Museum in Vermont. Perhaps you can search their web site. It is small flying geese design.
    Old 08-05-2010, 04:35 AM

I made a neck tie quilt for a friend when her husband passed away. I carefully took apart each tie, backed them with a stabilizer and figured out the sizes I could get out of each one of them. He had ties with names, pictures, etc., so I worked those in. I ended up with a pinwheel block because it showed the ties well. I suggest just taking them apart first get them ready to cut and then make your decision on your pattern. I just felt better seeing them ready to cut before I decided on what I was going to do with them. Good Luck...
    Old 08-05-2010, 04:39 AM

I'm in the process of making quilts using my father's ties. Wash and dry them first - I threw them in the washing machine and they did fine. Then I took them apart and discarded the linings. I used a light weight fusible interfacing to give them some support. Then, cut them to your block size. I'm doing a nine patch pattern so I cut squares using my GO.
    Old 08-05-2010, 06:51 AM

I belive a stabilizer is necessary when using ties in a quilt.
    After opening up your tie, iron to a piece of stabilizer. This will allow you to cut the slick fabric easier. As well as give the thin fabric some body.
    Old 10-15-2010, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    I'm also collecting ties for a quilt and basically you either follow a pattern that you might already have and cut them up or there are books on amazon, etc. that can be purchased.

Is there a particular pattern that you are looking for?
    Also looking for this. Don't want to cut them up as they are ties from the 70's, maybe 60's (5" wide?). Would like to find the pattern where you put them in a circle similar to a dresden plate and make large lap quilt.
    Old 10-15-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by suekiefer
    Thanks to you wonderful ladies for your quick replies,as I just joined this group today!! A home decor magazine came today. In it was a 'Sun Mirror', with the sun rays curved around the mirror in the middle. So--- I have now placed several ties around a bowl on the floor to get the effect and play with this idea. I plan to applique these on to a background to make a wall hanging for above my couch.
    That's my latest.
    Thanks again!
    Sue in Indianaplos
    I Sue, welcome to quilting board. You will be addicted quickly. We all share a love of all things quilting and welcome anyone who feels the same. By the way, what's with location: "in hiding" when you sign it Sue in Indianapolis? Kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it? LOL