Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need advice....looking for machine >
  • Need advice....looking for machine

• Need advice....looking for machine

Old 04-27-2010, 10:21 AM

Could you help a little more on finding the QAYG from this web site, I can't seem to find it. Thanks. Jenelle

I use basting spray between the sandwiched block and then I quilt the blocks. When all the squares are quilted you put the sashing between the squares and sew one to another. Look at the site below and it will explain the method.
    Use the QAYG method from www.edonyourown.com This is what I used and it really is simple. Just follow thte directions and you are there!!![/quote]
    Old 04-27-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Joe
    Originally Posted by sunlover
    Use the quilt as you go method and you won't have to worry abbout space. I'm nearly finished with a quilt that has 20 blocks that are 12x12. All quiulted my machine (3 layered) and I will post a picture of the unfinished quilt. It is really a snap to do and I really like this method...
    So you make a bunch of 12" quilts then sew them together? Doesn't that leave gaps in between the blocks? And how does it work for the sashing and the borders?
    Here's a really good method of quilt as you go. You can also do a search here on the QB for quilt as you go or QAYG.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-36303-1.htm
    Old 04-27-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by BizyStitches
    Could you help a little more on finding the QAYG from this web site, I can't seem to find it. Thanks. Jenelle

I use basting spray between the sandwiched block and then I quilt the blocks. When all the squares are quilted you put the sashing between the squares and sew one to another. Look at the site below and it will explain the method.
    Use the QAYG method from www.edonyourown.com This is what I used and it really is simple. Just follow thte directions and you are there!!!
    [/quote]
    Go to Search and put in QAYG When you get there open the post "QAYG no hand sewing by kn3. This is very easy and you do not need to use strip blocks.The site is The quilt as you go method by Janine Bouyssounouse and if you put this www.edon in the computer you will see a website called Janines Web Page. Hope you can open it.
    Old 04-27-2010, 12:43 PM

Thank you I was talking about the web site you mentioned, I will try it again and see if I can find it. I did find some stuff about quilting but her links to different sights wouldn't work for me. Thanks to all.
    Jenelle
    Old 04-27-2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pam
    This is a work in progress, quilted on my home machine with a 7" throat. I have also done queen sized quilts on that machine, but not so heavily quilted. I spray basted, then pin pasted this piece.

I have to admit, I hate this thing, I do like the quilting though. It is an assigned project for my art guild.
    What brand of machine do you have?
    Old 04-27-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by CyndiKinney
    I have looked on the internet and have seen machines that call themselves "quilting machines," but I can't figure out how I would do anything but piecing the tops on them...because how would I get the material tight/taut in order to do the quilting without a frame of some kind??

So, I'm confused. I know I sound silly...but I've just never done anything on the machine except the piecing. So, is there a machine that I can get to do the actual quilting? Or do I need to get a mid or long arm with a frame?

Please explain! Thanks!
    Cyndi
    You would sandwich the quilt in the same way you do for hand-quilting. I spray baste and then pin at the edges. The biggest thing to look for in a new machine is the throat (the opening from the needle to the inside of the machine). The larger the opening the larger quilt you will be able to quilt on your machine. I have a 9" on mine and there are others that go up to 11".
    Old 04-27-2010, 01:19 PM
    Pam

Originally Posted by Debbie B
    Originally Posted by Pam
    This is a work in progress, quilted on my home machine with a 7" throat. I have also done queen sized quilts on that machine, but not so heavily quilted. I spray basted, then pin pasted this piece.

I have to admit, I hate this thing, I do like the quilting though. It is an assigned project for my art guild.
    What brand of machine do you have?
    I have an old Bernina. I have had it for about 17 years. I think it was the last one made before they went to computerized.