Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need advice on pinning/quilting layers >
  • Need advice on pinning/quilting layers

• Need advice on pinning/quilting layers

Old 03-03-2014, 04:51 AM

Default Need advice on pinning/quilting layers

How do most of you get your quilt layers ready for quilting? I use clamps on a sheet of plywood, I seem to get the backing fabric tight then add the batting and the top, readjusting the clamps per layer, then pin it. However when I am ready to machine quilt (I have a standard Janome sewing machine...no long arm) the fabric seems to bunch up around the pins (I remove the pins as I get to them) and the fabric does not lay flat. I get the fabric top piece "bubble"....the fabric bunches up ahead of the needle. What am I doing wrong?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Steph[ATTACH=CONFIG]465459[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails back-piece-table-60dpi.jpg  
    Old 03-03-2014, 05:02 AM

Steph, my guess is you are stretching the backing to tight. Do not pull it just let it lie flat. Same with top and batting. Hope this helps. Vi
    Old 03-03-2014, 05:07 AM
    Power Poster

To me it looks too tight too. Now that I am glue basting I don't even clip anything down. Just smooth it. 8 quilts in and so far so good. I think you would have to hold down with pin or thread basting though and when I did that, I just smoothed it and taped to the floor.
    Old 03-03-2014, 05:08 AM
    Power Poster

You don't want to have the back too tight that once the clips are released the backing fabric will retreat to it's original shape which will cause the top to "bubble". I would always run my hand along the top making sure the fabric wasn't too tight or too lose. You don't want it tight like a drum. Moving your hand lightly, you can see if the fabric is too loose if the fabric moves. You want it to look like it has just been pressed. Try undoing a clip if you expect it to be too tight and watch the fabric react. If it is correct, there should be little movement. This is a learning process just like cooking. Keep trying because eventually you will be able to tell the difference.

I LIKE your set up. HOPE your plywood edges and been sanded thoroughly so you won't get any splinters.
    Old 03-03-2014, 05:28 AM

No kidding, that is a awesome set up. I use my dining room table which is 48 x 72 but has rounded corners. Hummm...........needs to have hubby cut me a larger piece and sand it smooth.
    Old 03-03-2014, 05:55 AM
    Power Poster

I always got back puckers with pinning or thread basting. I now use fusible batt or 505 spray. I have done a small quilt with the Elmer's glue basting but I still have not perfected that method yet.
    Old 03-03-2014, 06:05 AM

Thanks for your replies....you are correct I think am pulling it too tight. I see what you mean that the fabric retreats when I remove the clips. The board is an OSB board.....has a slick finish on one side......works great (4' x 8' board cost $8 at Lowes), the fabric glides across it nicely. The batting has a tendency to catch on the edges of the board once in a while.
    Old 03-03-2014, 06:07 AM

This answered a question I had, too. Thanks for asking. I always thought that the tighter the better! Guess not.
    Old 03-03-2014, 07:44 PM

You said the fabric is "bunching up ahead of the needle" - besides the back being tight, maybe you are not allowing the feed dogs to pull the fabric into the machine but perhaps you are pulling it thru or pushing it. I would stop quilting and make a sandwich of another fabric and try it on that to see how it goes before going back to your quilt. Good luck.
    Old 03-04-2014, 12:03 AM

You don't need to adjust the clips as you put batting and top on . Just make sure they lie flat on top of backing then pin from the centre outwards.
    Place the piNs every 4 inches in all directions. About 500 for a double .