Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • need advice please >
  • need advice please

• need advice please

Old 01-16-2012, 04:32 AM

Default need advice please

I am making small quilts for my grandogs--one terrier--15 lbs, one beagle--25 lbs and one basset hound--30 lbs.
    Wondering what sizes and which batting would be best for the repeated washings they might need. Or would
    a flannel be best for the middle?
    I know some of you have made them for your pets or grandpets so would like some advice.
    Thanks
    Old 01-16-2012, 04:42 AM
    Power Poster

an inexpensive poly batting is a good choice- they wash up well- and hold up to frequent washings- they also do not (grow) some of the germs/critters natural fibers tend to
    and pets tend to like their (blankies) to be fluffy/lofty---just flannel would work- but they would like them with batting
    i use scraps -- sometimes i forgo any batting and use fleece when i find some at a thrift store- or on sale-they really love fleece! it is soft, cozy & lofty- and since it's polyester- it holds up well too
    Old 01-16-2012, 04:43 AM

I have made a couple for my schnauzers ( neithr of those babies are still with us, but another one is now taking up where they left off). I made them about 36" square and they are made out of cotton quilting fabric. I appliqued schnauzers on them..one with silver schnauzer and the other with black schnauzers. I think I used a Hobbs 80/20 in them. They have been washed numerous times and have held up really well. They are about 6-7 years old. Good luck. I'll be anxious to see them when you're finished.
    Old 01-16-2012, 08:10 AM

Warm and Natural scraps have always worked fine for us. I have beagles, and baby size quilts have always worked great, or if they sleep on a dog bed/pillow, i add a few inches to the pillow's dimensions.
    Old 01-16-2012, 08:38 AM

I would use fleece for the piecing and backing and forget about the batting. Fleece ( the anti pill) will wash , hold color, and dry very quickly, and is warmer than cotton. These beds are likely to be washed frequently .
    Old 01-16-2012, 09:46 AM

I just made Tink a new blanket and pillow. I made it 30" square for her....but she is a big Chihuahua...she loves to be completely covered.

I use polar fleece as my batting...it is warm, but not heavy. This quilt is flannel on both sides, but I have made her cotton ones, too.

I would make a 36" quilt for your smaller dogs, and a 40-42" for the bigger ones. Basically the same size as a smaller baby quilt.