Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need advice >
  • Need advice

• Need advice

Old 01-26-2011, 09:56 PM

My most common error that results in a broken needle is to change the foot after doing a wide zigzag, but not reduce the zz width. Bang! There goes another needle when it hits the new foot designed for straight line stitching.

I guess I just have a bad case of dumb :thumbdown:
    Old 01-27-2011, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by bonniebusybee
    My most common error that results in a broken needle is to change the foot after doing a wide zigzag, but not reduce the zz width. Bang! There goes another needle when it hits the new foot designed for straight line stitching.

You aren't dumb lol* I have done that a number of times ;) Usually I get distracted by something and when it's time to sit back down to the sewing machine I completely forgot I was just zig zagging lol*
    Old 01-27-2011, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by bonniebusybee

What's really bad is if the new needle is a twin and I just broke a $4.50 needle! (because the machine is still set on zigzag).
    Old 01-27-2011, 07:04 AM

You should have your sewing machine cleaned at least once a year. I change my needle after sewing with it for 8 hours.
    Your sewing machine book should tell you how to change the
    needle. My Bernina is computerized and shows step by step how to do these things. Betty Lee
    Old 01-27-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by DianneRab
    Hi ladies,
    I am sending my brand new Singer Quilter's Confidence machine off for warranty repairs. It seems (after talking with Liddy who is their factory rep in my area that this machine is a fussy one. Only likes 90/12 needles and cotton blend thread. You can't use tissue paper for stablizer (the manual suggests this) for applique and what about all those pretty threads to make the quilts look amazing.

Sending the machine off today and have to go pick it up when it is finished a 6 hour drive (includes both ways) I am a bit miffed as the manual which I've read many times does not give you this kind of information. Liddy Singer service woman, did promise a bunch of lessons for free. There were some other issues with this machine it's disease is thread lock. So besides, needles and thread, there is drama with machines.

Phew thanks for letting me sound off ladies
    Dianne
    I have the same machine (had it just about a year) I must have gotten one of the good (male) machines, I hear the (female) ones are quite high maintaince..
    Ha Ha just joking. I have to say that I have put this one thru all of NOT TO DO to a sewing machine that you can do. and it is still hummimg right along I have changed the needle a few times, After they get (bent or broke) that is.
    blow out the bobbin and thread path with can air each empty bobbin change, like I said, must have gotten a good one.

Ray..
    Old 01-27-2011, 05:01 PM

I used to clean my old Kenmore myself....but with the new esp. the computerized machines...it is recommended that you take them in for a technician to clean and check them. They can clean them down deep inside where we can't get into them... Don't blow in your machine...you will get little rust spots from the spit. With many machines these days costing $$$$$ i think it is good to take them to a skilled tech.
    As soon as I finish this next quilt top...my machine in going in for a cleaning and check
    Old 01-27-2011, 07:08 PM

OMG - I feel so sorry for my sewing machine - I haven't taken care of like I apparently should have - but I will in the future.
    Old 01-27-2011, 07:12 PM

This forum is the best. Thank you all for teaching me!
    Old 01-27-2011, 08:05 PM

I change my needle every 8 hours or daily, and save for pinning other things. I oil twice a month regularly, and brush out the bobbin area every bobbin change.
    Old 01-27-2011, 08:06 PM

I service once a year