Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need a "first" project idea for 7-year old. >
  • Need a "first" project idea for 7-year old.

• Need a "first" project idea for 7-year old.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by adamae
    In summer classes at Home Extension we used paper with drawn lines for beginners to sew w/o thread until they became accustomed to their machine. These could be computer generated with straight lines and corners an/or circles. They were instructed into the use of the machine and how to thread it. They made some simple joining seams and when completed, they received a certificate for accomplishment. They loved the certificate with their name, date and instructors name. Just an idea for you.

Personally, I'd go straight to a project, rather than "technique". I hate practice!
    Old 12-26-2012, 11:30 AM

Pillow case is a great idea! Does she have dolls...a doll quilt, simple squares. Than a matching lap quilt.....a table place mat for her mom...pot holders...so many fun small projects....She will have a blast!
    Old 12-26-2012, 06:15 PM

Having taught a beginning sewing to 7 th graders for many years I used paper with lines to stitch on without thread. Start with straight lines and add lines with corners to circles. Do not move on until she has conquered each line set. 7 is pretty young to accomplish much.
    Old 12-26-2012, 07:23 PM

I think a pillowcase would be a great idea. 7 year olds need quick projects in order to keep interested in sewing.
    Old 12-26-2012, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by mucky
    Having taught a beginning sewing to 7 th graders for many years I used paper with lines to stitch on without thread. Start with straight lines and add lines with corners to circles. Do not move on until she has conquered each line set. 7 is pretty young to accomplish much.
    I used a treadle machine at that age. It's what the kiddo wants to do that counts. If my mom had made me do paper lines, I'd probably NOT be sewing now.
    Old 12-27-2012, 05:12 AM

my mom taught me with the drawn lines on paper. I did learn to sew at the age of 6 on a sewing machine. However, I taught my daughter and god-daughter with simple projects. Easy to complete and doesn't matter if imperfect (to someone else's eyes--they thought it was beyond perfect!). Then, with each successive project, you can help her to work on technique, accuracy, etc. I'd rather they have fun and want to do more than be overly precise and not enjoy the process/journey.

Laurie
    Old 12-27-2012, 05:38 AM

A friend of mine started her 6 yr. old GD with 6 in. squares. It went very well. She even ended up doing the quilting and binding herself.
    Old 12-27-2012, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by nycquilter
    my mom taught me with the drawn lines on paper. I did learn to sew at the age of 6 on a sewing machine. However, I taught my daughter and god-daughter with simple projects. Easy to complete and doesn't matter if imperfect (to someone else's eyes--they thought it was beyond perfect!). Then, with each successive project, you can help her to work on technique, accuracy, etc. I'd rather they have fun and want to do more than be overly precise and not enjoy the process/journey.

Laurie

And instant gratification is key at that age which is why I suggested a pillowcase----------something she can use the same day.
    Old 12-27-2012, 01:15 PM

I would like to add mug rugs, simple wall hangings with simple, simple machine applique. I have been teaching beginning quilting at my home school co-op for 2 years now and the best advice I can share is keep the projects simple and quick. We did the paper thing kind of--I used muslin and bright thread so they could see their lines and "sew" at the same time--this lasted about an hour nothing too long. The average 7 year old has the attention span of about 10 minutes or in some cases 15 (this is in group setting, alone would be very different) but they all liked having their completed projects to take home and share, use or whatever. What we make in our class is, needle book, simple charm square tote, mug rug, place mat, pillow case, itouch case, and final project is wall hanging.

No matter what you guys make you will have a blast making it together!! In the end its about the time you spend together :-)
    Old 12-27-2012, 01:35 PM

I started learning to sew at the age of 5 on a treadle Singer machine. When I was 6 my mother cut out a very simple dress and I sewed it, one weekend. Wore it to school on Monday. I will never forget that dress.

If the child is really interested in sewing they will do good. If not you won't be able to keep them interested. I do agree with something simple they can complete in just a few minutes.