Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need full size  flag pattern for Hospice >
  • Need full size flag pattern for Hospice

• Need full size flag pattern for Hospice

Old 09-28-2010, 05:37 AM

The whole thing about what a Flag can and cannot be done unto, and what it can and cannot be used for, is tied to the concept of "desecration," and the "official rules" about that include that the "intent to desecrate" has to be provable.

Draping the casket of a soldier, or making a quilt to honor that person, or to use to help get that person to a reverenced burial, is no desecration nor intent of desecration.
    Old 09-28-2010, 06:37 AM

Good morning!! You've all presented lots to think about. I was approached just this past Saturday about the possibility of doing this project for our local Hospice organization. But we'll definitely have some research to do now. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I'll be contacting the woman from Hospice to get more information today and I'll let you know what happens.
    Old 09-28-2010, 09:12 AM
    Power Poster

Angelwatcher,

I am sorry this has brought up such strong feelings from several people, that was not my intention.

Okay, I discussed this issue with VA personel that work daily with Veterans who are elderly and dieing where I live in Idaho.

This issue has absolutely nothing to do with desecration of the flag etc... If my previous posts sounded like that was my concern I apologize. I had just never heard of anything like this, so I questioned it.

There is nothing wrong with what they are asking you to do, however I don't quite understand why they are doing this. They CAN use a real American Flag unless it is just against their own policies, but an American flag this size would be very very expensive because VA will not provide it as far as I know. The funeral home they go to will contact VA to obtain the flag for the funeral as long as they know the person is a veteran. They contactd VA for me and made all of the arrangements.

I don't know want to get morbid, but the vet who has died will already by placed in a bag for transport. Arrangements have normally been premade as who will transport and where. I don't quite understand why they want something else to cover it.

After speaking to VA, I found a new program where I live that I will get involved with. They don't do anything for the veteran once he/she has passed for transport, however they give donated quilts to veterans who are in hospice that need one. For example chemo patients who are cold all of the time. These are given to the vets and upon their passing the family keeps them. I really like this program, I am going to finish a couple and take them to town for ill vets because at the present time they are out of quilts.

The VA office I spoke with has never heard of this kind of program, and they would prefer to give quilts to patients who are still living and can enjoy them.

If you have any questions I can answer about what I found, please PM me.
    Old 09-28-2010, 10:08 AM

Our guild did some for the local hospice here. It's a great thing that the families really appreciate.

Our quilts are only used when they are covering the residents as they are taken out of the hospice so there isn't any issues with the health unit but they do need to be able to wash them if anything happens to get on them during transportation but that may be the reason that it can't be a real flag.