Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need help with attic window block >
  • Need help with attic window block

• Need help with attic window block

Old 04-11-2012, 03:18 PM

Default Need help with attic window block

I'm making attic window blocks using photos on fabric. The photos are 8x10 and I have cut 3" strips for the "frames" and have sewn them on the photos using dark color on the side and light color on the bottom, but there doesn't seem to be enough depth. Do attic window blocks have to be square? Should I use wider strips to give the photo blocks depth? I've done some research but can't find quilts with blocks this size. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Barb
    Old 04-11-2012, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by BarbinLittleton
    I'm making attic window blocks using photos on fabric. The photos are 8x10 and I have cut 3" strips for the "frames" and have sewn them on the photos using dark color on the side and light color on the bottom, but there doesn't seem to be enough depth. Do attic window blocks have to be square? Should I use wider strips to give the photo blocks depth? I've done some research but can't find quilts with blocks this size. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Barb
    A little late now, but I'd put the dark on the bottom and the light on the side.

The 3" should be about right, I'd think.
    Old 04-11-2012, 03:23 PM
    Power Poster

are you mitering the corner? the depth is usually achieved by contrast in the fabrics- and wider sashing may help too-
    i would fold some fabrics at different widths & lay them around the block to see what looks best-
    and attic window blocks are not always square- they can be any rectangular size/shape. check out the book- Attic Windows (your library may be able to get it for you- you will see some ideas that help with contrast & depth.
    Old 04-11-2012, 03:28 PM
    Power Poster

So your finished window will be 7.5x9.5" and I think that the sash @2.5" finished is a good size. A lot of times we tend to judge our work by one or two sample pieces. The full effect of the windows will not be realized until you have them sashed (and I hope you use the mitered corner) and laid out next to each other.
    Old 04-11-2012, 03:33 PM

Yes, I did use the mitered corner. I only have 6 done so will see if putting the dark on the bottom, light color on the side and making a couple more will give me a better perspective. Thanks everyone.
    Barb
    Old 04-11-2012, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by BarbinLittleton
    Barb
    Here are my attic window blocks[ATTACH=CONFIG]327156[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]327157[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 3-d-quilt-005.jpg   3-d-quilt-003.jpg  
    Old 04-11-2012, 06:05 PM

Barb - see how Earleen's windows have an additional strip (brown in the lower picture)? This gives additional dimension to the overall image and deepens the effect of the shaded strips. I've also made an attic window and at first didn't use this strip and didn't like the result. I think this gives the true image of a window.
    Old 04-12-2012, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Earleen
    Here are my attic window blocks[ATTACH=CONFIG]327156[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]327157[/ATTACH]
    I'll take back my comment about the dark on the bottom. The dark on the side in this quilt is perfect.
    Old 04-12-2012, 08:15 AM

Also here is the link to the forum Gallery of Quilts Attic Windows http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/a...dow-b2656.html
    Old 04-12-2012, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    Also here is the link to the forum Gallery of Quilts Attic Windows http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/a...dow-b2656.html
    The single scene from AnnMarie is B E A U T I F U L !