Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need help with baby quilt I made that needs repair >
  • Need help with baby quilt I made that needs repair

• Need help with baby quilt I made that needs repair

Old 04-10-2017, 01:36 PM

Sounds like you have a plan for this well loved quilt. Just wanted to add that if you choose to use Minky for the backing I think all of you will be happy with it. In my experience it washes and dries without any problems, plus I don't think it will ever pill. I use it for grandkids quilts routinely. They love the feel of it.
    Old 04-10-2017, 02:54 PM

I think what I would do is some applique over the hole like a pretty butterfly
    Old 04-10-2017, 03:52 PM

I think I would repair the hole with appliqué as you planned, Minky over the fleece without removing the binding. just turn edges under. Do minimal quilting to hold the new backing. As a grandmother myself I have repaired until repairs were all that was left. Once they start coming apart it never stops. Start a new one now and she will love it just as much.
    Old 04-10-2017, 04:20 PM

Thank you, everyone, for your kind and helpful comments. I ordered Minky for the back and I will just put it over the existing fleece. I will zig zag over the seams and this will hold the backing. Also, some heart appliques, one over the hole and others to match.

I really appreciate your comments, jokir44. I have been chastising myself over poor workmanship but your post made me feel better about this. When I think of all of the quilts that I have gifted, I would hate to think that they are all falling apart. Thanks again. I so appreciate everyone's help with this project.
    Old 04-11-2017, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I would fix the holes aa well as i could - and tben let it " be loved to shreds" - while working on a new one.

I can see why the little one loves it.
    This is my opinion, too. I'd put an applique over the hole so it doesn't get larger and leave it as is. You are going to put a lot of time and effort into reconstruction that you could be making a new quilt. This one shows the love/use and abuse given to it when your GGD was a little person and will be a treasure in years to come--even the markers!
    Old 04-11-2017, 03:30 AM

I agree with bearisgray, fix the holes, let her love on it some more and make her a new "big girl" quilt. Fixing this one will be a lot of work and she will probably outgrow it in a few years. Her first quilt from you can be washed and put away for for those trips down memory lane.
    Old 04-11-2017, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by littlebitoheaven

I really appreciate your comments, jokir44. I have been chastising myself over poor workmanship but your post made me feel better about this. When I think of all of the quilts that I have gifted, I would hate to think that they are all falling apart. Thanks again. I so appreciate everyone's help with this project.
    It's not poor workmanship. Your GGD obviously loves this quilt and has it near her no matter how adventurous she is feeling.
    It's a beautiful quilt.
    Old 04-11-2017, 07:01 AM

Put this one up and make a 'big girl" quilt. 20 years from now, it will recall great memories.
    Old 04-11-2017, 07:55 PM

I wouldn't even bother with the holes! just make a new one and let the old one die, while being loved to death!
    Old 04-12-2017, 04:16 AM

I recently repaired a quilt my sister made me, because the back was completely disintegrating (the back was made with an old blanket). My quilt though was not quilted, only tied, so it wasn't too much work to take it apart. I took it apart and replaced the back with cotton fabric, replaced the binding, and retied the quilt (while also adding more ties). Anyway, I would definitely replace the back with something that's maybe a little more durable. And I like your idea with the appliques. It's a really beautiful quilt.