Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need Help Building My Stash >
  • Need Help Building My Stash

• Need Help Building My Stash

Old 05-28-2013, 05:59 PM

Remnants work, too. I started out with remnants.
    Old 05-28-2013, 06:01 PM

Try Hancock's of Paducah's web sale fabric section - this is first quality fabric sold at anywhere from $4 to $7 per yard because it is from one or a couple of seasons ago. You won't find whole lines of things like Moda Marbles blenders, but you will find tons of really nice fabric that gets "refreshed" pretty often. If you allow yourself to be put on their emailing list you will also be notified about specific promotions that help even more (like the rare and coveted "free shipping" days...or the even better "additional 20% off entire order" sales).

Much of my stash arrived in bright yellow plastic Hancock's of Paducah mailing pouches!

Alison

Last edited by alisonquilts; 05-28-2013 at 06:03 PM. Reason: additional information
    Old 05-28-2013, 06:11 PM

You can check Craigslist for people selling their parents stash...or yard sales too.
    Old 05-28-2013, 07:10 PM

I told friends and family members to buy me 2 yards of fabric when they asked what I wanted for Christmas three years ago. I got 37 yards of fabric!!! And most of it I really really liked. I love cats, daisies, blue and purple, and folks who know me know that. It was great! Do you have a birthday coming up? Christmas is a long way off.

Anyway, perhaps you can use this idea?

Dina
    Old 05-28-2013, 07:52 PM

Rosalynd, For the most part, they just grow. And, once they start, it is hard to stop them. Having said that, specific to Arkansas, have you been to Marshalls Dry Goods in Batesville? They have fabric at great prices. Most of it is nice quality. There is also a little fabric shop called Catherines in Morrilton, take the exit like you are going to Petite Jean but at the light go right like you are going to go to the Walmart and she is in a small building across the street from Walmart.

I also hit a couple shops in Springfield, MO last week and one of them had good prices. If you are heading north any time soon send me a PM and I will get you their number.
    Old 05-28-2013, 08:05 PM
    Power Poster

Estate sales, thrift stores, remnant bins at the different stores. Good way to clean out your closets of clothes or other fabric that you either don't wear or use. I've been saving my husbands shirts and jeans when he's done with them. Just check and make sure no stains. Just cut out stain area. Check out the internet or newspaper for rummage and garage or church rummage sales. I found a couple big girl dresses and blouses and big guy shirts. Ask your neighbors or family for clothes they don't want if they're going to get rid of. your kids clothes. It's all around. If you sign up for some of the fabric stores like JoAnn's for their email newsletter you can get discounts. Read the coupon carefully though and one nice thing about the online coupons you can print one everyday sometimes the whole week.
    Old 05-28-2013, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by nanacc
    Check out your local thrift stores. I have found fabric and even already cut triangles. In one of our thrift stores, the fabric is almost hidden in cabinets, so ask for help. If you want to order, check for clearance indicators.
    Ditto on thrift stores! I had no idea they had fabric for sale - just happened in to a local Goodwill store and was looking at old quilts (can't believe some of the beautiful quilts I've found over the years) - anyway, I happened to see something that looked like backing fabric - and then saw row upon row of FABRIC. CHEAP! Very well made! I probably came away with at least 20 yards or so for about $5.00. Not $5 a yard - but $5 TOTAL. I will be stopping by every thrift shop I see from now on!!
    Old 05-29-2013, 03:06 AM

My best friends mothers passed away about 2 years ago. I had made her several smocks , as that was what she liked to wear. I asked for them back and tore them down and made pillows and a quilt out of the fabric. Now when they look at them they can see their mom in the smocks and she is right there with them. Papa especially likes the quilt as he covers up with it. It's like he can hug his wife again. Crying now. It was a labor of love.
    Old 05-29-2013, 04:35 AM

I've gotten a lot of quality fabrics lately at estate sales. I read the listings on www.estatesales.net and if they list crafty kinds of things, I go early. I've gotten a lot of 2yd pieces for $1..... bring them home and wash them. One sale I went to must have had 100 2yd pieces.

I love the thrift shop shirts.... again, check for fiber content. I quilted a lovely quilt for a cousin that was all kinds of blue shirting fabrics.... it was really pretty.
    Old 05-29-2013, 04:01 PM

It must be an area thing, I never find good fabric (other than clothing) at thrift stores. I always get so excited for others when they say they do.