Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need help choosing a machine >
  • Need help choosing a machine

• Need help choosing a machine

Old 03-05-2017, 05:13 PM

what kind of sewing does she mostly do? I agree that having lots of fancy stitches is not something to pay extra for--most of us use straight, zig-zag, buttonhole, blanket and blind hem stitches. Features I would look for include a needle up/down feature, a lock stitch feature, and ability to move the needle position. I also like a drop in bobbin and a "table" around the machine(not a real table but an extension). If she's a quilter, the largest throat space is a blessing. I also agree that the best thing would be to purchase from a machine dealer. If you live somewhere with a JoAnn's, you also live somewhere close to a sewing center that probably carries several brands. I'd go there. Expensive used machines are often a great deal if they come with a warranty. Oh--one other thing I would avoid is any machine that can not use a universal bobbin.
    P.S. You sound like a real "keeper"! Good for you!
    Old 03-06-2017, 04:12 AM

Brother and Babylock both have quilting/sewing machines. I've always used a Brother or Babylock, they are basically the same machine. Since she is familiar with them I'd stick to the same brand. You will need to buy from a dealer for the higher end, higher priced machines. The smaller ones are bought at Wal-Mart, Amazon, etc and a lot of ladies buy them to make to classes because they are lightweight.
    Old 03-06-2017, 04:55 AM

I think an IOU would be the best thing. Maybe buy a little sewing machine ornament and attach a note saying you'll upgrade it to a machine of her choosing? When I first read your message, I thought maybe a Singer Featherweight would be a good, solid machine to get that she can learn to maintain herself if necessary. I have had Vikings on the past and loved them, but that's because I have a dealer nearby. I think it's important, with the more modern machines to have a dealer closeby for questions as one learns to use the machine and get the most out of it. But I still believe a person has to "test drive" the machines to see what she's comfortable with. Good luck!
    Old 03-06-2017, 07:21 AM

My advice is to go for the Viking. Please do not get the Singer. I had one and it was not very well made.
    Old 03-06-2017, 11:53 AM

If i were looking to buy a new one it would be a Brother or Baby lock.
    Old 03-06-2017, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by salederer
    My advice is to go for the Viking. Please do not get the Singer. I had one and it was not very well made.
    I agree completely, I used to sell new Singer and Viking machines. Unfortunately the new Singer machines are just not up to par. The Vikings are much better machines. I have antique Singers and they are wonderful.
    Old 03-06-2017, 06:46 PM

This is just my own personal experience, steer clear I'df the Singer machine.. Had a Quantum, really bad experience...love, love my Janome.
    Old 03-07-2017, 02:11 AM

I love my Janomes...have 3 of them and use them all equally. I think you will find that if you ask 10 quilters what their favorite machine is you will likely get 10 different answers. We all have our favorites based on our own experiences. Here is a link to Consumer Reports that gives a bit of basic information about choosing and buying a machine.
    Since you want this to be a surprise for your friend yet don't want to make a "mistake" in what you purchase. Perhaps you could purchase one with the condition that it could be exchanged or returned. That way you could surprise your friend yet she would have the option to exchange it for another if she wanted too.
    Good luck!

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/s...s/buying-guide
    Old 03-07-2017, 05:45 AM

I agree with the other ladies. Do not get a Singer (they use to be wonderful but not any more). Go with a Bernina(a used one would be great) or Brother, Babylock, Janome Viking are all good.
    Old 03-07-2017, 06:06 AM

What you're doing is extremely thoughtful -- everyone has their own idea of what a favorite machine would be. Being able to have the machine serviced is of utmost importance, so the idea previously mentioned of going to a local dealer and getting a gift certificate seems the best out of the lot. That way she can choose what she likes best in the price range you can afford. Good luck with your new home -- what a great way to start this next chapter in your lives!!