Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need help designing a Bicentennial Quilt >
  • Need help designing a Bicentennial Quilt

• Need help designing a Bicentennial Quilt

Old 11-10-2014, 03:59 PM

I did a quilt like this for a baby shower and the organizer gave us all ONE piece of fabric we HAD to use in our block. Everything else we could choose from our stash.

For those who are creative on their own this will give them enough to go with. For others that need some 'support' you could have a sewing afternoon at the church and come with the one fabric, some scraps and some easy patterns. Then you could help those that want to contribute that don't have a clue what to do...

I would also EXPECT to square up and add border to the blocks to make them all the right size. If you plan on doing that at the beginning it won't be so frustrating when you get a bunch of different sizes. I've seen lots of quilts with these extra borders...and in a way they will tie the quilt together color wise to unify the 'scrappy' and 'unique' aspects of each block.
    Old 11-10-2014, 04:10 PM

Here's a link to a quilt that has borders attach to the inner blocks so that the setting is tilted a bit. The tilted setting creates movement of the eye so it does not focus on the 'perfection' (or lack there-of) of each individual block:

http://b-quilts.com/blog/?p=1871

You could do this on a bigger scale with more complicated blocks too.
    Old 11-10-2014, 04:23 PM

I helped put together a quilt at Palm St. Church. I have friends that are members there but I don't attend there. They were lovely ladies with varied experience in quilting. It was fun to add maybe as little as an eighth of an inch along one side or maybe two to make a donated block work. IMHO, It is not about accuracy, though that is what we all strive for, but about the gift and sharing. Turned out to be a lovely quilt after it was machine stitched by a local LA owner.