Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • need help with an idea >
  • need help with an idea

• need help with an idea

Old 08-09-2011, 07:18 AM

Hi All
    I've posted before about how I'm making quilts for my family from my brother's shirts (he passed away 3 yrs ago) I am almost finished w/ the 2nd quilt then have mine to make! Anyway the help I need is with this.......I'd like to take the scraps of the shirts and make a really nice square out of them for each of my mother, sister and myself to put in a frame and display on our wall! My issue is I'm such a square block quilter that I have no idea what kind of square to make! I want something that's not too difficult but that looks nice. maybe something w/ an easy star in it? any suggestions as to where I could look for patterns would be great! thank you all in advance!
    Old 08-09-2011, 07:22 AM
    Banned

quilterscache.com - you can even choose based on size of block you want
    Old 08-09-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rymer
    Hi All
    I've posted before about how I'm making quilts for my family from my brother's shirts (he passed away 3 yrs ago) I am almost finished w/ the 2nd quilt then have mine to make! Anyway the help I need is with this.......I'd like to take the scraps of the shirts and make a really nice square out of them for each of my mother, sister and myself to put in a frame and display on our wall! My issue is I'm such a square block quilter that I have no idea what kind of square to make! I want something that's not too difficult but that looks nice. maybe something w/ an easy star in it? any suggestions as to where I could look for patterns would be great! thank you all in advance!

If you've been cutting squares you've obviously gathered a bunch of bits------

Chose one DEFINING scrap for each person----------use it to make the center of crazy quilt square

DEFINING: Mom's favorite robe, Dad's favorite work shirt

edited to add new thought. How about having a snapshot of each printed onto a good piece of cotton and using that for the center piece of the crazy block.?
    Old 08-09-2011, 07:26 AM

oh thanks ladies!!

yes lots of bits! a lot of them are hawian print so I can probably focus each square on one certain shirt and go from there.
    Old 08-09-2011, 07:26 AM

Try the 10 minute square, it uses 5 different fabrics and you can put your brother's picture in the middle. It can be made with any size squares. I have used 4" 5" and 8". Look at this quilt for the 10 minute square. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-110564-1.htm
    Old 08-09-2011, 07:29 AM

That sounds like a wonderful idea, would love to see pictures when you're done.
    Old 08-09-2011, 07:58 AM
    Power Poster

If you are framing these, find a good picture of your brother and place that in the center of the block.
    Old 08-09-2011, 08:14 AM
    KR

You could make the state block for the state he was born or lived in. Here's the link.....http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art23676.asp.

If you want to use a photo of him, you could find a picture frame with a mat already inside and cover the mat with the fabrics. Maybe even embroider his name on the fabric beforehand.
    Old 08-09-2011, 10:30 AM

A star block was mentioned, Ohio Star is easy to do and looks good done scrappy and you can put a picture as the middle square. Look for the pattern in Quilters Cache. Looking forward to seeing all the finished quilts and framed blocks.
    Old 08-09-2011, 10:43 AM
    Power Poster

An Ohio Star is very basic, and you could add sashing.
    There are other star blocks too that would be easy and look very nice. The suggestion of Quilters Cache is a good one, their blocks are listed with the level of difficulty too :D:D:D