Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need help keeping ruler from slipping when cutting fabric >
  • Need help keeping ruler from slipping when cutting fabric

• Need help keeping ruler from slipping when cutting fabric

Old 04-05-2014, 09:09 AM

When I was at the Dallas quilt show, I saw a demonstration on something called Ruler Magic. It is something like Elmer's glue or rubber cement. You spread it on the back of a ruler, and let it dry...it dries clear. Then when you put your ruler on the fabric, it sort of sticks, so the ruler simply can't move. You sort of peel your fabric off after you cut it, but none of the Ruler Magic seems to stick to the fabric.

I didn't get anywhere when I googled it, so I can't give you a website or anything. The lady at the booth said she had invented it and I think she was just getting started with it. There is a phone number to call for reorders on the bottle. PM me if you would like that number, as it is probably wrong to put it here.

I did buy some and it is pretty neat stuff. One application seems to last a very long time, but if it loses its ability to stick, it says just to reapply it.

Dina
    Old 04-05-2014, 09:57 AM

The Gypsy Gripper tool is wonderful. Also, check the height of your cutting table. Lowering it an inch or so (as long as this doesn't hurt your back) may give you the ability to apply better pressure on your ruler.
    Old 04-05-2014, 10:36 AM

I found a solution that works like a charm for me. It's called Handi Grip. They are clear adhesive strips that you put on the ruler. They feel like sandpaper. You can see through them. You can cut to any size and place them and they can be removed. No more slipping.
    Old 04-05-2014, 10:46 AM

I use "Grip Strips." They are clear and have adhesive on one side to stick to the ruler or template. I love them. http://www.guidelines4quilting.com/GripStrips.html
    Old 04-05-2014, 04:32 PM

I had the same problem with my ruler moving. Bought the Harbor Freight grippers and the big handle works great. More stable
    Old 04-05-2014, 04:51 PM

I spray a light coat of basting spray on my rulers. It works well and lasts a long time. If you don't like using it, you can wash it off with hot soap and water and one of those plastic scrubbies we use for washing dishes.

Immediately after I spray, I take a scrap and rub any large splatters of basting spray off the the back of the ruler.
    Old 04-05-2014, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by tesspug
    I use "Grip Strips." They are clear and have adhesive on one side to stick to the ruler or template. I love them. http://www.guidelines4quilting.com/GripStrips.html
    After trying almost everything that has been mentioned above, (sandpaper dots, rubber base cement, plastic, basting spray, etc,) I have to say that Grip Strips work best for me. I have never had a ruler slip when I use them. Recently, I cut some templates from an old cutting mat and put the Grip Strips on the back. I'll be able to use those templates for years. They worked as well as the purchased acrylic templates. I am sold on Grip Strips!
    Old 04-05-2014, 08:28 PM

I use a Quilter's Slidelock ruler, and love it. Finally, my ruler hand is safe from the rotary cutter.
    Old 04-05-2014, 09:00 PM

I like using the rulers with a lip on them. The lip fits over the edge of the cutting mat and helps eliminate slippage.
    Old 04-05-2014, 09:55 PM

My frosted Olfa rulers don't move, but on my slippery rulers, I either use a little basting spray, or a Zig 2-way glue pen. I discovered it when mounting photos to wedding invitations, and love that it can be permanent, or temporary (like a post-it note). It will also peel off of a ruler quite easily if you wish to remove it. Here's a demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7ggt24Zm0Y