Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need help knowing if this one machine is a featherweight and which one it is? >
  • Need help knowing if this one machine is a featherweight and which one it is?

• Need help knowing if this one machine is a featherweight and which one it is?

Old 05-07-2011, 05:18 AM
    Banned

OH MY....I want them ALL.....
    Old 05-07-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie
    My 128 has a Bentwood case and has a knee bar that is stored in the case when not in use. You attach it into a hole on the front of the machine and press your knee against it to operate the machine. Is this what yours is like?

Originally Posted by AngieS
    Originally Posted by irishrose
    My 128 has a foot pedal. I'm sure it's original to the machine.
    This one doesn't have a pedal and it's listed as a 128. Could there be 2 different types of the 128? Or does yours have the lil thing on the side that makes it go instead of the foot pedal too? I'm new to all of this. I just put in the serial # and that's what it shows. Looking it up on the website it's inbetween the numbers and that's what is listed.
    Yes this one has the bar instead of the pedal. It works GREAT! I still haven't been able to get the 99K to quit skipping stitches so I used the 128 last night for a lil while. The 99K is quieter but I love them BOTH! Am really wishing I would have brought the other one home with me too. LOL
    Old 05-07-2011, 06:13 AM

no, featherweights are 221 or 221K.
    Old 05-07-2011, 06:18 AM

Gorgeous treadle!
    Old 05-07-2011, 06:36 AM

I still haven't been able to get the 99K to quit skipping stitches so I used the 128 last night for a lil while

Double check you threading - and make sure the needle is in the right way. This is a common oops for me since my machines each go a different direction. I'm not sure about the 99, but I think most Singers go in with the flat side on the left.
    Old 05-07-2011, 06:38 AM

Thanks, I'll try that. The 128 has the flat side to the right. I have seen how it is suppose to be threaded and done that part right, I've also checked the bobbin. So, maybe it's the needle. I will check it later and see. :) Thanks.
    Old 05-07-2011, 06:40 AM

I have both a 99 and a 15 model. They are great machines although the 15 is my favorite. THey will sew through anything. But they are not portable in terms of weight (at least for me to lug around!) even thought they may be in cases rather than cabinets or tables.
    Originally Posted by AngieS
    O, ok. I haven't seen these. They are at my parents house. They are telling me over the phone. LOL

Does anyone know anything about either of these machines? Would love to hear. Thanks for your help so far. They have another one but it's also in a cabinet and it was my stepdad's great grandmother's or grandmothers-he's 66! So, I can't wait to look up about it. :)
    Old 05-07-2011, 06:43 AM

So far I like the looks of the 128 and the 99K the best! I love the way the 99 sounds and the way the 128 sews. I will have to try the 66 soon. :) I don't want to take my Mom's 15 from her-it's her special one.
    Old 05-07-2011, 07:37 AM

I have a 99 which belonged to my mother in the 40's. I learned to sew on it and when my mother died I brought it to my home. My older daughter loved to sew and she used it often. It's been in storage since 1983. I had a new house built last year and when I moved into it, I brought the 99 with me. It is in a very nice sewing cabinet. I have not tried to sew with the machine because I've been so busy with other things since the move. I can remember that it was a nice, solid machine and never had problems with it. I think I read somewhere that the 99 was a 3/4 size model and it is very heavy.
    Old 05-07-2011, 11:04 AM

The model 15 has blue around the Singer Medallion. Would guess that it was made in 1951 for Singer's Centennial. That is the case for Featherweights.