Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need help organizing your stash?? >
  • Need help organizing your stash??

• Need help organizing your stash??

Old 01-22-2011, 11:56 AM

I agree with you. You buy these containers as you can and put them to use. I think at one time I had close to 100 of the 28 qt plastic boxes from sterilite. I had to throw so many out when we moved from WV that it really hurt and I've never recovered. I would love the containers she has. I have a couple, but they are for the pet food. There was another box I loved with a lid on hinges that was a little bigger than 1/2 of the other boxes. I hated the tubs because it was so hard to organize, but use them for batting, pillow forms and works in progress. I has hurray for what she has done and I applaud her loudly. She is a really true stash builder and user.
    Old 01-22-2011, 11:57 AM

I agree with you. You buy these containers as you can and put them to use. I think at one time I had close to 100 of the 28 qt plastic boxes from sterilite. I had to throw so many out when we moved from WV that it really hurt and I've never recovered. I would love the containers she has. I have a couple, but they are for the pet food. There was another box I loved with a lid on hinges that was a little bigger than 1/2 of the other boxes. I hated the tubs because it was so hard to organize, but use them for batting, pillow forms and works in progress. I has hurray for what she has done and I applaud her loudly. She is a really true stash builder and user.
    Old 01-22-2011, 12:17 PM

....I think she said she had been collecting since the 80's. Lovely stash.

Originally Posted by pab58
    WOW!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: She has more $$ invested in her storage bins/containers than I have in everything I own for sewing/quilting!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: It's certainly beautifully organized, but I wouldn't be able to have that much and not feel guilty. :oops: I'm sure it's great for her, but not for me. I'll stick to my little stash and supplies -- thank you very much! :wink: 8-) I'm very comfortable with it.
    Old 01-22-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
    I don't have THAT much. But when I first moved to the basement I had shelves just like hers. See I can't stand having it all staring at me like that. I want it hidden, but accessible when I need it. That is what prompted me to put in all my floor to ceiling shelves. I am slowly getting rid of non quilting stuff. I have so much apparel fabric from when I made all the grandkids clothes as babies. I have lots of corduroy; anyone know of a good way to either use it or get rid of it? I may have my DDIL put it on freecycle.
    Make pillow-beds for ASPC doggies. They love it.
    Old 01-22-2011, 12:28 PM

I was just thinking of something....think about all the "outgassing" from all those plastic bins. She thinks she is sensitive to the chemicals in the fabric, didn't she think of all the chemicals in all that plastic? :roll: :roll: :roll:
    Outgassing? Help! What is that? And is it something we need to be careful of? I have lots of plastics for storage, never knew they could be a problem. Is Outgassing more to be feared than MICE URINE and DROPPINGS?
    Old 01-22-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by tlpa
    After skimming through the "fabric therapy" section, it looks like she really does use her stash, and for amazing quilts! I don't know where she finds the time for everything?
    Methinks that when we are organized, there is more time to be spent dreaming up the next quilt, actually cutting, sewing the next quilt and much more time to enjoy the looks on everyones faces when we present them with said quilts.... how much time is wasted at the beginning of each project searching for that "peice of fabric we just bought that we must have to begin the new quilt?"
    Old 01-22-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by skjquiltnut
    I was just thinking of something....think about all the "outgassing" from all those plastic bins. She thinks she is sensitive to the chemicals in the fabric, didn't she think of all the chemicals in all that plastic? :roll: :roll: :roll:
    Outgassing? Help! What is that? And is it something we need to be careful of? I have lots of plastics for storage, never knew they could be a problem. Is Outgassing more to be feared than MICE URINE and DROPPINGS?
    I don't know which is worse. I guess I would rather not have mice droppings/ nests. But I have allergies and have problelms with certain chemicals. I cannot go into a carpet store without having to leave within 2 or 3 minutes because of the smells. And some plastics I have trouble with. I guess that is considered "outgassing". With as much plastic as she has I would be concerned. I would never be able to have that much plastic in my basement without getting headaches from it. Google outgassing and see what you find.
    Old 01-22-2011, 02:43 PM

You know, those of us who are not as organized may be showing our little green monsters because our stashes aren't as big or as well organized, me would really enjoy sewing in the space she has and being able to go a specific area to find the fabric that I need, by the way, she has inspired me to get my fabrics and supplies organized in a manner that would allow me to be able to find them when I need them
    Old 01-22-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by skjquiltnut
    I don't know which is worse. I guess I would rather not have mice droppings/ nests. But I have allergies and have problelms with certain chemicals. I cannot go into a carpet store without having to leave within 2 or 3 minutes because of the smells. And some plastics I have trouble with. I guess that is considered "outgassing". With as much plastic as she has I would be concerned. I would never be able to have that much plastic in my basement without getting headaches from it. Google outgassing and see what you find.
    Thanks I will do that. Sorry to hear your allergies act up so badly.
    Old 01-26-2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    OMG !!!!! :shock: Who has a warehouse to store all that fabric like that?!?!?!?!?! Not me.. :-(
    DITTO!